Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Better Communication Challenge Day 4: Money Talks

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Day 4 of the Better Communication Challenge! We hope you're enjoying the activities so far.

One of the things that couples have the hardest time communicating about is money. Many couples fight about how to spend their money, while others just don't talk about money at all, even though they should.  In one study by Fidelity Investments in 2009, they found that only 45% of couples surveyed make decisions together about day-to-day financial matters.

Your activity for May 5 is: Talk About Money. Today, try our first money conversation starter of the challenge (we'll have more of these throughout the month). Sit down with your partner and ask each other, "What are your top 3 savings priorities?"

Do you and your SO have a hard time communicating about money? Tell us how using this conversation tip went in the replies below!

Plus, if you missed yesterday's activity, don't worry. You can still find out which words to banish from your vocabulary!

by on May. 4, 2011 at 2:47 PM
Replies (91-96):
Nana0410
by on May. 14, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Hmmmm.....right now our top 3 savings priorities are:
#1 money for a larger vehicle for our family

#2 money for a downpayment for our very first house (EXCITINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG)

#3 money for our future, to include savings plans for the babies for their future/college funds etc etc
 and in that order as well due to the fact that our family needs come before we can save for their future.

Thats what we both said

AnAngelsKiss
by on May. 25, 2011 at 2:28 AM
I try to tell him my concerns or inputs and it is not taken and used. I talked with him before we got our tax return I wanted to put some into savings for each kid. I told him I think we should put money aside for emergencies. I said over and over this money should go to priority bills owed, we should put a little extra on the phone bills and the electric bills. What happened. He ordered out to eat every day lunch and family dinners. He went on shopping sprees. We did get household needed stuff and also stuff not needed. I can't complain about him buying me a kitchenaide mixer or a few new outfits. I think owed bills were priority though. I express this and get blowin off. Or told not to tell him how to spend his money.
m.u.m.
by on May. 31, 2011 at 11:21 AM

every night when the kids are in bed, one of us makes the other person a nice drink like tea, smoothie,ect and we talk for a few min :)

m.u.m.
by on May. 31, 2011 at 11:25 AM

we always talk about money in a good way....like dreaming about what we can do with the chance we could have more of it,lol! The stressful moments we have over money stress, are just that moments. We realize we can't dwell on it that long, that only leads to damage on us. We don't want money to ever control us.

marisab
by on May. 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM

i was always the budgeter and he would justa sk can we

tatermae
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:01 PM
We fuss about money all the time we both work but by the time we pay the bills and buy grocerys there is nothing left we live paycheck to paycheck
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN