Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Better Communication Challenge Day 4: Money Talks

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Day 4 of the Better Communication Challenge! We hope you're enjoying the activities so far.

One of the things that couples have the hardest time communicating about is money. Many couples fight about how to spend their money, while others just don't talk about money at all, even though they should.  In one study by Fidelity Investments in 2009, they found that only 45% of couples surveyed make decisions together about day-to-day financial matters.

Your activity for May 5 is: Talk About Money. Today, try our first money conversation starter of the challenge (we'll have more of these throughout the month). Sit down with your partner and ask each other, "What are your top 3 savings priorities?"

Do you and your SO have a hard time communicating about money? Tell us how using this conversation tip went in the replies below!

Plus, if you missed yesterday's activity, don't worry. You can still find out which words to banish from your vocabulary!

by on May. 4, 2011 at 2:47 PM
Replies (61-70):
starfilled
by on May. 5, 2011 at 5:35 PM

This is actually not a bone of contention in our marriage anymore.  We have a definite financial plan that we both do a good job of sticking to. 

BonitaM
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Our top 3 saving priorities after I get my greencard this year will be. 

1. A trip to Sochi, Russia
2. Adding on to the house
3. Paying off the house.
4. Paying back DD

Not necessarily in that order since we don't agree on the order but all must happen within the next 10 years with our trip to Russia being our #1 goal. 

hfaddis
by on May. 5, 2011 at 5:40 PM
i have always been a tight wad when it comes to money and will be the first to admit it! when we first got together dh was quick to spend money, but over the past 3 years we have got things together greatly! bills and the kids are always first! then whatever is left we discuss what we want or need to spend or save it for. We really never fight about money thankfully!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by on May. 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM

we will be arguing over money issues for awhile.  he won't take no for an answer and I will have to continue to tell him that he's going to listen to me for a change.  and whoever says I don't own him, is WRONG, cause i most certainly do!shh

jean_marie1987
by Member on May. 5, 2011 at 6:50 PM
Money is actually not a big issue for us. We are looking into a few money-saving ideas, though. We are in the process of moving, and saving is a big priority at this time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Samanthamommy
by on May. 5, 2011 at 6:53 PM
We're typically OK with money. I do the budget so we're usually on track, it's more when something unexpected comes up.
mrs.miner
by on May. 5, 2011 at 6:57 PM

we actually did recently have a talk about money, we do fight about it often because he is more interested in playing with it and buying unimportant stuff. But at the moment we have a semi budget set up to work on paying off debt and only working very little on actual savings. once our debt is a lil lower we plan on building our savings better.

baby2zacharias
by on May. 5, 2011 at 7:09 PM
were one of the 45% that always talks about money. we wont even spend a dollar without okaying it with the other first.

my saving priorities: 1. a new mini van for out growing family. 2. a house so we can stop renting. 3. money for mike to make his car how he wants it.

his saving priorities: 1. a house 2. a better car 3. college funds
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gina6239
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2011 at 8:13 PM

He and I both pretty much agree on our priorities when it comes to money. We talk about it a lot, but I did bring it up today for the sake of this post. We both agree that we need a newer car in the near future, then we need to save up to move to our own apartment (we rent from my grandma now and the apartment is small and attached to her house), and then eventually for a house. We follow a budget. We both screw up sometimes and use the credit card too much, but we admit our mistakes, pay it off and move on. It has never been an issue for us.

MomToovey
by Marianne on May. 5, 2011 at 8:29 PM

I forgot to have this conversation with him today! Oops! But we are usually pretty open about our finances. We're both involved in paying the bills and setting the weekly budget - and as I'm the primary spender of the house, I keep track of what I spend to make sure I don't go over!

Our short term savings goals are our "Christmas fund" so we don't have to worry about running out of money in Nov/Dec while buying Christmas presents, our "Vacation fund" that we'll hopefully be taking this fall, and our "lawn fund" as it needs professional help.

Our long term goals are retirement, DD's education/wedding/etc., and building up a 1 year's worth of finances emergency fund to keep just in case.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)