Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Better Communication Day 20: Watch Your Nonverbal Communication

Posted by on May. 20, 2011 at 5:08 PM
  • 45 Replies

Sometimes we communicate as much with what we don't say as with what we do.

Your activity for May 21 is: Watch Your Nonverbal Communication. Your body language can help set the right tone for your conversations with your partner and show him that you care about what he has to say. Indicate that you're paying attention to what he's saying by focusing on him. Don't give into distractions like doodling, looking at the clock, writing notes to yourself, or cleaning up while you talk.

Look at him while you're talking, and nod in response to what he says to show that you're listening and that you understand what he's talking about.

Do you need to work on your body language when you communicate with your SO? Tell us what you plan to change in the replies below!

Plus, if you missed yesterday's tough conversation topic, you can find it here.

by on May. 20, 2011 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrissysnow22
by on May. 20, 2011 at 10:35 PM
I try really hard on this one. Dh has a problem looking me in the eye.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hfaddis
by on May. 20, 2011 at 11:02 PM
this is something we both used to have trouble with. But we have sorked on it very hard to put conversations off till a time of the day where we can talk without interuptions, we try to make sure the tv and other distractions are off and sit together to talk face to face :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrs.miner
by on May. 20, 2011 at 11:13 PM

we actually do this pretty well. i guess if anything i need to work on making sure my phone stays silent and ignored completely.

biancalina20
by Bianca Lina on May. 20, 2011 at 11:21 PM
I don't really know... I don't think we ever had a prob with that... However we haven't spoken in about 8 hours and we are both home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collegemama2one
by on May. 20, 2011 at 11:37 PM

I need to work on eye contact.

earthangel1967
by YVONNE on May. 20, 2011 at 11:41 PM
Often times we are both good about this but with our lives both being so busy we definitely are both guilty of this sometimes too I'm a great multiple tasked and listener and can repeat back what he's said but this challenge makes a great point that it's still bad body language message
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on May. 20, 2011 at 11:47 PM

I am guility of cleaning while I talk, something I remember my mother doing! I sometimes do not make eye contact.

He, on the other hand is much better at this.

brieri
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:12 AM

No, i look at him with eye contact and listen to him and give my full attention to him when he is talking to me.  

lukesmama_07
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:36 AM
I use to be really bad at this and I admit I still have alot to work on but I am going to turn down the tv when he talks or turn off the water while I am doing dishes, so on. Just kinda eliminate distractions. I do have to admit I while I was just responding he started talkin about ths show and had to catch myself not giving full attention haha see I need some work.
babyluv23
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:41 AM

I have to repeat myself over and over.....to many distractions with DH for ex. watching tv, on the comp....it irrirtates ME!!!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN