Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Better communication Day 22: Dinner Table Day -- Win a Free Book!

Posted by on May. 20, 2011 at 5:17 PM
  • 96 Replies

Does your family do a lot of best talking at the dinner table? Or do you rarely eat dinner together as a family, or as a couple?

Dinner time can be a terrific opportunity for bonding with your partner or your entire family. Studies have shown that eating together is good for kids, but it can also be good for your marriage. Your activity for May 23 is: Make Your Dinner Table Conversation More Stimulating. Try some of these tips and share your own:

• Focus on your spouse and your family. Turn off distractions like the television and your cell phone.
  • Stay positive. Dinner isn't the time to start an argument or bring up something a family member did that's been bothering you.
  • Write out some fun conversation starters (like "If you were an animal, what animal would you be? If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?), put them in a hat, and each night for a week choose a different conversation topic during dinner.
  • Share something about your family history that the others might not know, or a funny story from your childhood.
  • Reminisce with your partner about your lives before you had kids, or share memories from your children's earliest days or years.

How can you and your spouse (and/or family) connect better at the dinner table? Tell us in the replies below!

One lucky mom who responds to today's activity will win a copy of the fun book "Dinner Talk: 365 Engaging Conversation Starters to Help You and Your Family Connect." Reply as many times as  you'd like--the more times you enter, the better your chances of winning!

The Official Rules
To enter the contest, reply to this post. Click on the 'reply to post' button at the top (or bottom) of that post. When the text box opens, add your reply. Once you've added your reply, click on the "Add Reply' button.

• Posts must be made between Sunday, May 22 at 10 pm EST and Friday, May 27 at 11:00 am EST.  
  • This contest will end on Friday, May 27 at 11am EST
  • One winner will be selected randomly.
  • The winner will be posted on this thread and will be notified via CafeMom PM.
  • Multiple replies are allowed and will increase  your chances of winning.
  • Prizes are only available to members who live in the US or Canada (excluding Quebec).
  • One winner will receive a copy of "Dinner Talk."

by on May. 20, 2011 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sew4fun
by on May. 22, 2011 at 10:56 PM

We like to share how the day went. Ask how his night at work was. We also try to get the girls thinking and will ask questions on different subjects.

sew4fun

BUMP!

Tifferoo3
We talk about anything and everything at the dinner table unless it's gross...I think my husbands gotten used to some of the gross stuff though. It amazes me what people who are in the medical field can talk about when they are eatting! We talk about our day, tv, music, anything and everything...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gina4
by on May. 22, 2011 at 11:04 PM

We've done the conversations of "if you were an animal" and "if you could go anywhere" before as a family and just the 2 of us too.. I'm always going back to him every few months asking him where he would like to vacation at with just him and I and than as a family too... ( I tend to forget what he says sometimes, even though we generally have close to the same answers)...

brieri
by on May. 22, 2011 at 11:04 PM

I am on a strict diet right now and he works long hours thus keeps him away for the majority of time when we should be eating toghether.  We do discuss things at times and therefore we get along well without arguing. 

ShannaBee
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2011 at 11:17 PM
We rarely eat together due to his work schedule. When we do it we barely talk. I hate talking and eating.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hfaddis
by on May. 22, 2011 at 11:43 PM
we almost always eat together and try and talk alot. I am only going to do this one short reply for now, we are having bad storms and keep losing electric, need to save my battery
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrs.miner
by on May. 22, 2011 at 11:59 PM

He generally works through dinner so we almost never get to eat dinner together. we dont get breakfast or lunch either. On the few days he has that time off we talk a little but not much. I want to make having dinner together more of a priority especially while the kiddies are still little so they are used to it as they grow up. lol

earthangel1967
by YVONNE on May. 23, 2011 at 12:11 AM

My husband works during our meals 6 days a week so we often go on a dinner date on his one night off at a restaurant or I cook a special date night meal and we do converse and make it special.

zboys
by on May. 23, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Sunday dinner is our special time together since hubby is away during the week.  We usually talk about the church sermon and different movies, computer games, and/or Seinfeld. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)