Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you did the Unity Candle at your wedding...

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:17 AM
  • 10 Replies

Poll

Question: Did you leave the side candles burning after you lit the Unity Candle?

Options:

Yes

No

We didn't have a Unity Candle

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 24

View Results

How did you do it?  We had my mom and DH's dad go up and light the side candles (to signify family) and then after DH and I lit the unity candle we kept the side candle burning (signifying that we were uniting our lives,  but we were still two separate people).  I've seen some weddings on TV shows (like Four Weddings and Say Yes to the Dress) and they blow out the side candles after lighting the unity candle.  Just wondering what the norm is.  *L*

save the date

by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kjoarcik
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:19 AM

My mom and my husbands mom light the side candles. Then we lit the unity candle. We then blew out the single candles to signify uniting our lives. But I like what you did also.

ETA: *lit, not light..oops.

TTC our first. 

SareyF
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:29 PM

We did this too although I accidentally answered wrong on the poll.

Quoting kjoarcik:

My mom and my husbands mom light the side candles. Then we lit the unity candle. We then blew out the single candles to signify uniting our lives. But I like what you did also.

mrs_nielson
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:33 PM

we did a sand ceremony. where the pastor(representing christ), my dh, & i all poured sand of diff colors into a larger container. The significance is that once the sand is mixed you will mever be able to fully seperate it into the seperate colors again.

KamiB79
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:34 PM
My brother and his wife did this. It was really neat!

Quoting mrs_nielson:

we did a sand ceremony. where the pastor(representing christ), my dh, & i all poured sand of diff colors into a larger container. The significance is that once the sand is mixed you will mever be able to fully seperate it into the seperate colors again.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauriebash
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Our moms lit the side candles, then we blew them out after lighting the unity candle. Wow, 20 years later, I still remember this, but I have no idea what I had for dinner last night!

abifasc
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:40 PM

We did unity sand too...which we loved

SP_Mama
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Quoting kjoarcik:

ETA: *lit, not light..oops.

DH and I both thought we were supposed to be blow out the side candles.  Our Pastor told us not to and told us the symbolization behind it.  I know I've been to other weddings that had unity candles, but I can not for the life of me remember how they did it.  *L*

save the date

Tifferoo3
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:34 PM
We did the sand to but my mom and his mom poured that sand instead of the pastor

Quoting KamiB79:

My brother and his wife did this. It was really neat!

Quoting mrs_nielson:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
burninghalo
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:36 PM

once we lite the unity canfle we blew out the side ones.

i.heart.myboys
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:20 PM

we got married at JP

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)