Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

To those who had a small, low budget wedding, do you ever wish you had done more to make it special?

Posted by on May. 30, 2011 at 6:59 PM
  • 23 Replies

This question came to me when I was reading another post but I didn't want to hijack someone elses post by asking it there. I suppose I was so young when I got married and never really saw anyone having extravagant weddings, (My family always did something low-cost or justice of the peace) so I really didn't think that much into it when me and dh tied the  knot. Now don't get me wrong it was special just because it was the day that we began our life together but I do wish I would have realized that because it was a special day we should have celebrated it as such. I didn't put any planning into it other than to pick out my dress. Dh set everything up because we were in the military and we were seperated at the time of planning for this. We did it on a pier over a bay that extended from the beach and went down to the beach for pics which a friend took with an ordinary camera. Because the wedding was set 11 hours ( if I remember right) away from where my family lived mom said they couldn't afford to go there and asked me to please do it back home but everything was already in place by that time. I would have paid to have her come but I didn't even have the money to do that. We were airman in the military (pretty low pay when you first start out) So my family was not even there. ( I think that is my biggest regret) My husbands mom and dad and a few close friends from the base came. thats it, no decor, no dinner, no honeymoon(we just didn't have the money...but had I  taken the intiative to plan such things more...I really don't know where my head was then, maybe I would have planned something) We did stay in an expensive hotel and hung out in the sauna and down on the beach where we met. Oh yeh, and mil camcorder broke so we have no video. Didn't matter to me then but now I guess I think about how I would do it different. Writing it out I suppose it was nice for how little we paid but you know you only do this once...hopefully.   :o)

by on May. 30, 2011 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abra
by on May. 30, 2011 at 7:00 PM

My wedding was under 7K. It was simple, outdoors, elegant. I loved it! No regrets here!

robsgurl_23
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2011 at 7:09 PM
I spent probably a little over $200.00 on my wedding. It was in my parents livingroom with the justice of the peace (the same one who married my dad and step mom) I wish we could have had a bigger wedding but we didn't have much money but I do wish I would have asked some one else to take pictures cause my sister I asked took 3 pictures..it would have been nice to have had more pictures taken but can't do anything about it...maybe if we renew our vows eventually we will have to do more planning and get someone to take pictures that will take pictures...=)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviaW.
by on May. 30, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Our wedding was around 1k. We rented a small town community center for $30, dj was $450, food (we made ourselves the day before) $400 (we had alot in the freezer already so we didn't buy any for the wedding), my dress was under $100, bridemaids' (only 2) dresses were $150 each with a rush order ($115 without), tux rentals were $20 each (no jackets just vests & ties), the cake we made ourselves, flowers (we made ourselves) maybe $50 total. 

Ours was very simple and that's what we wanted. Came in, family took pictures, said our vows, eat and danced. We were done by 8pm.

sabinam
by on May. 30, 2011 at 7:16 PM

YES! Now that I see other people around me getting married, and being in their weddings, I realize how shitty mine was. Aside from the drama that we had, it just wasn't what I wanted. It was rushed and poorly put together and I hated it. The pictures aren't even that great. The one thing that I am happy to say I have is one of my coworkers(like my other momma) recorded us saying our vows and being announced on her cellphone. I have that video at least! We are redoing it for our 5 year and making it fun and what we want to do.

BonitaM
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2011 at 7:27 PM

My wedding cost $300 total from the dress to the rings, flowers, etc.  We eloped at the courthouse.  At the time I wished I could have had my big fancy wedding but now I'm glad I didn't.  I still like to daydream and pretend to plan such an event but in no way, shape or form would I hold it.  The most important person in the world to me was there that day and he will be there til the day I die.  What more could I ever ask for?

Rain2Rinse
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2011 at 7:38 PM
It really isn't about the wedding. It's about the marriage.

Still, having family and friends all dressed up to witness my father hand me off to another man with the belief that he will take care of me is a big deal.

It is my Father and Fiance's way of saying that even though I will always be Daddy's princess, only to my Fiance can I be a queen. On that day, I get to dress like one and everyone treats me like one.

It isn't do or die important but it is so nice to look back and see the dress, the flowers, the cake, the family and friends....

It is costly to be sure but those memories are priceless. We will never be married again. I don't want to look back and wish that there had been more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Starleet
by on May. 30, 2011 at 7:49 PM

We will be getting married next month but were not even having a wedding. My fiance is more bummed about than me actually but if we have one down the road then that is fine with me too. :)

Please "Like" this boutique and Vote for Miss Lexy by clicking Like on her picture! Thank you!

gina4
by on May. 30, 2011 at 7:54 PM

I think the only things that I would've changed is actually hiring someone to take my wedding pictures and videos... for my video we didn't get any of our vows, and we could barely hear anything that was said anyways, and at the reception my MIL let my 2 younger SIL take video, so I had a lot of video of peoples feet or of them and their friends... none of the guests, or me and my DH... Pictures were ok but definately not professional...

Gabbysmom715
by on May. 30, 2011 at 7:55 PM
I got the wedding I wanted and it only cost less than 150$. My step mil made my cake and flowers and mil did the decorations fil bought my dress which was only 37$ my wedding was awesome
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelmom0405
by on May. 30, 2011 at 7:57 PM

i wish i would have had a big wedding and i plan on it when we renew our vows just not sure when that will be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)