Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To those who had a small, low budget wedding, do you ever wish you had done more to make it special?

Posted by   + Show Post

This question came to me when I was reading another post but I didn't want to hijack someone elses post by asking it there. I suppose I was so young when I got married and never really saw anyone having extravagant weddings, (My family always did something low-cost or justice of the peace) so I really didn't think that much into it when me and dh tied the  knot. Now don't get me wrong it was special just because it was the day that we began our life together but I do wish I would have realized that because it was a special day we should have celebrated it as such. I didn't put any planning into it other than to pick out my dress. Dh set everything up because we were in the military and we were seperated at the time of planning for this. We did it on a pier over a bay that extended from the beach and went down to the beach for pics which a friend took with an ordinary camera. Because the wedding was set 11 hours ( if I remember right) away from where my family lived mom said they couldn't afford to go there and asked me to please do it back home but everything was already in place by that time. I would have paid to have her come but I didn't even have the money to do that. We were airman in the military (pretty low pay when you first start out) So my family was not even there. ( I think that is my biggest regret) My husbands mom and dad and a few close friends from the base came. thats it, no decor, no dinner, no honeymoon(we just didn't have the money...but had I  taken the intiative to plan such things more...I really don't know where my head was then, maybe I would have planned something) We did stay in an expensive hotel and hung out in the sauna and down on the beach where we met. Oh yeh, and mil camcorder broke so we have no video. Didn't matter to me then but now I guess I think about how I would do it different. Writing it out I suppose it was nice for how little we paid but you know you only do this once...hopefully.   :o)

by on May. 30, 2011 at 6:59 PM
Replies (21-23):
manifer_momma
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2011 at 11:07 PM
No, Im happy. I never wanted a huge wedding and my family is all scattered throughout the country, so it would have kinda dumb to spend alot abd only have a few guests. All in all, we spent just under $500 and it was nice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyof1ltlgirl
by on May. 30, 2011 at 11:07 PM

I know how you feel..When me and my ex husband got married in '06 I spent $200 on it..Yep I paid for it all but my dress and shoes..His mom got those as a wedding gift for me

pse07
by on May. 30, 2011 at 11:10 PM
I went to the county clerks office and did it.i wish I had waited for a better venue. Maybe we'll redo our vows someday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)