Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Would you get rid of your dog if he snarled at your child/ren?

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:26 AM
  • 168 Replies
Thus morning my 1 1/2 toy poodle/bichon freise lunged and snarled at my 4 year old. I promptly posted an ad on CL that he is for sale. Then I let my husband know(the dog was a Christmas present from him). Now my husband is pissed! He thinks that is not reason enough to get rid of him. I think if a dog is showing aggressive behavior towards kids they need to not be around chilren anymore. Now my son has been mean to the dog a couple times in the past but has been great for awhile. What would you do?
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sophiesister2
by Member on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:31 AM
Maybe getting rid of him isn't the best esp if it's gonna cause problems between u nd DH but I wld keep the dog away frm th child as much as possible and if it happens again idk. You should do what u think is right to protect ur child. Try to get ur DH to understand
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristyKat
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Toy breeds are not generally good with kids.  We just went through this, and I understand your position.  We had our toy fox terrier for a year, then suddenly, he lunged at my daughter's face when she went to pet him.  He always acted snotty to her, and yes, kids can be rough at times, but she wasn't provoking a thing.  She's okay, but the dog was gone the next day.  My cousin who took him had the same problem.  Whenever her 10 year old went to hug her, the dog attacked him.  He's now with a family that has no kids.  It's just safer that way. 

mommy259
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:38 AM

If this was the very first time he has ever showed aggression towards your child then no i would not get rid of him instead i would have punished the dog and let him no that was not ok.

jridgill
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:39 AM
No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BloodyAngel7476
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:39 AM

you can teach the dog not to snarl at the children it can be broke tell the dog when he / she does it no in a stern voice. and get a crate to put him / her in when it does something wrong maybe the dog got scared for a min.dogs have their times they don't want to be messed with is this the first time it did it and if so maybe give it another chance. how old is the dog? It kinda like a kid you have to teach them when there doing wrong but not with hitting.

lfrrll5
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I would get rid of the dog too. My daughter was bit by a dog a long time ago that was her grandfathers and the dog continued to bite other kids till it was put down

mommy259

That is not true for all toy breeds, we have a toy fox terrier as well we have had her since she was 6 months old and she is now 3 years old.. My youngest DD was only 2 when we got her and my DD use to carry her around and still does..Never once has my dog snapped at one of my children she is the best dog and awesome with my kids.

Quoting KristyKat:

Toy breeds are not generally good with kids.  We just went through this, and I understand your position.  We had our toy fox terrier for a year, then suddenly, he lunged at my daughter's face when she went to pet him.  He always acted snotty to her, and yes, kids can be rough at times, but she wasn't provoking a thing.  She's okay, but the dog was gone the next day.  My cousin who took him had the same problem.  Whenever her 10 year old went to hug her, the dog attacked him.  He's now with a family that has no kids.  It's just safer that way. 

HollyBerry727

Did you punish the dog?? He's still young, he's like a child that never grows up. You have to teach them not to snap at children. You also have to teach your son to be nice to the dog. I don't know anything about Bichone Freise, but I do know Toy poodles are not mean or aggressive towards children. My mother and grandparents have Toy poodles, they are the sweetiest little dogs and put up with a lot from 2, 2 year olds, and a 3year old. So I would't just get rid of the dog for that.

kajira
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:41 AM

It depends on what happened. a warning sign is not a good enough reason to get rid of the dog in my opinion.

and kids are quick. my son used to pet the cats nice around that age and get the crap scratched out of him from tackling the cats when I wasn't looking. I pretty much figured he'd learn the hard way and he got in trouble when he got scratched instead of my cats.

then again, my animals are as much part of my family as my kids are to me, and i'd work hard to ensure there wouldn't be an issues.

I don't get the point of getting an animal and then blaming it for behaving like an animal. that's what it is, and that's the only way they can communicate.

runnermamaof2
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't want to cause problems either but if we can prevent something bad happening we should. My husband thinks it would be a good idea to let his pit bull live with us(currently he is 600 miles away). Hell NO! He just doesn't get it!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN