Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Would you get rid of your dog if he snarled at your child/ren?

Posted by   + Show Post
Thus morning my 1 1/2 toy poodle/bichon freise lunged and snarled at my 4 year old. I promptly posted an ad on CL that he is for sale. Then I let my husband know(the dog was a Christmas present from him). Now my husband is pissed! He thinks that is not reason enough to get rid of him. I think if a dog is showing aggressive behavior towards kids they need to not be around chilren anymore. Now my son has been mean to the dog a couple times in the past but has been great for awhile. What would you do?
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:26 AM
Replies (161-168):
RheaF
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:37 AM

What did the child do to the dog? That would be my first question. I would try to sorrect the behavior first and if nothing worked then I would get rid of the dog. I would not automatically assume it was the dogs fault though. Then again, my dog is more than just a "stupid dog". She is part of the family. I teach my children how to treat her.

SoKamele
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:49 AM

It would depend on the why.

Proud-mama-05
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Yes and I have....but not on the first time if it happens more then once yes. There could be other factors that you're not aware of. Just be watchful of the dog around you're son and make sure your kid isn't mean to the dog. If he's being mean I wouldn't blame the dog for that behavior so there are a lot of factors you need to consider before jumping to get rid of the dog
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CutieCrab
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Yes

wishbearmom
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I'd try professional training, but if I thought my kids were in danger the dog would have to go.

rstuart66
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:56 PM

My pekingese has gotten tired of my 4 year old daughters attention a few time and growled and snarled at her.  I just tell my daughter that the dog does not like that kind of attention and show her how to pet her nicely.

If it was a bigger dog I would understand worrying a lot but there should be some room for learning with the smaller dogs.  

amberstars
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Did you correct the dog for snarling at your son?  Did your son provoke the dog? Children need to be taught how to properly behave around animals.  I would work with the dog AND the child on how to properly behave with each other.  The dog is still a puppy and in the puppy stage.  It needs guidance and your son needs to show it that he is a pack leader.  All humans should be pack leaders when having a dog/dogs.  I would only get rid of it if it kept snarling at my child.

Dragon, wife to Eagle.  Sister-wife to Swan and Rainbow.  Author, astronomer, world traveler, gamer, & reader.  Muslim revert.  In an inter-racial and cross-cultural marriage.

CharlotteRose
by Charlotte on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:56 PM
This

Quoting sophiesister2:

Maybe getting rid of him isn't the best esp if it's gonna cause problems between u nd DH but I wld keep the dog away frm th child as much as possible and if it happens again idk. You should do what u think is right to protect ur child. Try to get ur DH to understand

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)