Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Would you get rid of your dog if he snarled at your child/ren?

Posted by   + Show Post
Thus morning my 1 1/2 toy poodle/bichon freise lunged and snarled at my 4 year old. I promptly posted an ad on CL that he is for sale. Then I let my husband know(the dog was a Christmas present from him). Now my husband is pissed! He thinks that is not reason enough to get rid of him. I think if a dog is showing aggressive behavior towards kids they need to not be around chilren anymore. Now my son has been mean to the dog a couple times in the past but has been great for awhile. What would you do?
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:26 AM
Replies (11-20):
Mrs.Jolly
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:45 AM
We had this dog when ds was like 1 and ds went to pet it on its back but area and it turned around and snapped at ds we got rid of it later that week
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
riotgrrl
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I would not get rid of the dog for snarling at the kids if the kids were mistreating him, as long as he did not snap or bite. Snarling is the dog's way of telling the kids he's had enough.

runnermamaof2
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:48 AM
Unfortunately this has not been the first time he has done thus to my son 3 other times completely unprovoked:( he has been punished by being crated or just put outside and told "NO!".
Luvmyriley
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting runnermamaof2:

I don't want to cause problems either but if we can prevent something bad happening we should. My husband thinks it would be a good idea to let his pit bull live with us(currently he is 600 miles away). Hell NO! He just doesn't get it!

Pitbulls are actually really great family dogs. All dogs can be pretty good.. it's all in how you train them!

LarissaLopeman
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:50 AM
I wouldn't give the dog up. The dog isn't used to kids. We have 5 chiwawas and they do that to my youngest and sometimes my oldest they are good most of the time but when they tease them or are mean to them they know that and that's how they protect themselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:51 AM

what the heck? Bully's are usually great with kids. I don't have a pitbull, but I have a rottweiler, a bulldog and a rat terrier. our rat terrier is the only one that gets snippy. and we've worked hard with him to teach him not to bite or go for ankles/faces.

See the vicious bulldog and his baby. ^.^

Quoting runnermamaof2:

I don't want to cause problems either but if we can prevent something bad happening we should. My husband thinks it would be a good idea to let his pit bull live with us(currently he is 600 miles away). Hell NO! He just doesn't get it!

kajira
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:55 AM

I'm not trying to say you're wrong, but I'm guessing there's more to the story, very few dogs act this way, and if it IS unprovoked, then there's something wrong with his wiring. I had a bulldog I sent back to the breeder after working with him for 1 1/2 years because of his wiring being off enough that i was afraid he was going to snap and kill someone. I got our newest bulldog now and he's been perfect with our family.

my guess is if it is the way he's wired and unprovoked, he needs to go back to his breeder and not just randomly adopted out to someone else where he might bite.

animals remember too, they aren't dumb, if your son has been mean to him before, the growl could just be a reminder to him not to push his luck or boundaries.

that's the only way they can communicate....

Quoting runnermamaof2:

Unfortunately this has not been the first time he has done thus to my son 3 other times completely unprovoked:( he has been punished by being crated or just put outside and told "NO!".

sophiesister2
by Member on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:57 AM
Nooooo! I have a pitbull who is amazingly friendly but if the dog jumps up one time and knocks ur 4 yr old down he cld end up with a head injury. Also when my DF was 4 he was attacked by a pitbull. Although every dog is different I wouldn't risk it either. Good for you!

Quoting runnermamaof2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babybugsmomma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:58 AM

yes i would. my kids mean more to me. if they do it once then they could do it again.

we currently own a chocolate lab mix and a pom/shitzoo mix. they are both great with my kids.

runnermamaof2
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 12:02 PM
Quoting Luvmyriley:

I forgot to mention thus pitbull weighs 80 pounds and still knocks over my husband. He jumps and chews and growled at my daughter when she was an infant. He still doesn't behave despite having been sent to 2 different trainers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)