Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Would you get rid of your dog if he snarled at your child/ren?

Posted by   + Show Post
Thus morning my 1 1/2 toy poodle/bichon freise lunged and snarled at my 4 year old. I promptly posted an ad on CL that he is for sale. Then I let my husband know(the dog was a Christmas present from him). Now my husband is pissed! He thinks that is not reason enough to get rid of him. I think if a dog is showing aggressive behavior towards kids they need to not be around chilren anymore. Now my son has been mean to the dog a couple times in the past but has been great for awhile. What would you do?
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:26 AM
Replies (141-150):
IQuitCounting
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:29 PM

My cats growl and even swat at my son if he pushes them too far.  For the  most part they put up with a lot from him (just being a kid, not mean stuff).  Kids have to learn how to interact with animals and learn to tell when they are safe to approach and when they're not.  I wouldn't get rid of the dog for that.  It was warning behavior from what I read, and if the child has been mean in the past, the dog might have just been letting him know that now is not a good time to bug him.  I'd wait to see if the behavior continues to escalate before pulling the get rid of him card.

I wasn't there though, so I can't say what the exact reason or the vibe were *shrug*

alliesaurus
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I think the dog giving the child a warning that the child was bothering it is not enough of a reason to just get rid of it. If a dog is showing agression towards children there is aprobably a reason and it may just need some training....or train the child to not bother the dog. Everyone, including pets, need their own personal space sometimes and kids need to learn that too. We have a small dog that would growl deeply when my kids would corner her to pick her up (totally can't blame her lol) and the kids needed to learn to stand back and call the dog...if she doesn't come to you then you leave her alone....if she comes to you that means she does want attention....its just like asking a friend if they want to play...Our dog loves our kids, she is sweet and cuddles and sleeps in their room at night, but sometimes she is sick of them and wants to be left alone. It doesn't make her a bad dog or a mean dog....and i certainly wouldn't get rid of her because of that. Unless this becomes a serious issue on a regular basis, i think you can take a few actions to keep everybody happy.

TommyAbby
by Melissa on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:32 PM

If you have trained dogs and have a father who is a dog trainer,  why would you come here for advice?? Why not call your dad? 

Quoting kajira:

If you had all this experience and history with dogs, why would you abandon your dog over this instead of work on fixing the problem?

i think that's why people assumed you had no idea of dogs because your asking for justification about getting rid of your dog because it growled at your kid, who you openly admitted had picked on the dog in the past.

Yeah. you got your validation by many people on here. do what you want, but I can see why your husbands pissed at you.

Quoting runnermamaof2:

Quoting monalisasus:

Its your respinsibility as a dog owner to teach your dog to act right. why did you get a dog. Irresponsible in my book that you didnt dominate that dog from day one the snarling is a symptom of bad behavior and no boundries and limitations, i feel since you want to give him up you should so someobe whk knows what they are doing can help. Please never get another dog if you wont work with them then it just leads to bad dogs and euthinasua. Sorry i have rescue dogs and i know its the owner that is responsible for behavior, just watch ceasar milan.

Whoa lady! Obviously you skipped the parts where I stated he was punished for bad behavior! And second I do know what I am doing....do you know what assuming does? My dad TD dogs in the military- I know what the crap I am doing. Get off your high horse. I have been around them my whole life and have trained and shown them. Never did I say I never worked with him. Seems you just chose to infer what you wanted to. Don't hurt yourself jumping to conclusions.

Threes.Company
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Train the dog, first.   If the snarling and lunging continues after working with the dog, that is one thing.  But I would not immediately jump to getting rid of it after one incident, unless the incident involved an aggressive (and damaging) bite.

rowansmum
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
My dog, no. Another dog, especially something small, maybe. Deal with the bad behaviour first and if it really becomes a problem it could be a bad fit and you need to screen good homes for rehoming the dog. Some just aren't kid dogs.
My dog has socialization issues so she doesn't make the expected sounds at the expected times. She moans at the kids all the time but its her I wanna play sound. She's a german shepherd.
Small breeds are not generally good around kids. Not to mention they are often bred for size and esthetics, not necessarily disposition (or nasty tendancies are downplayed because they're small).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannaBee
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I would be heartbroken but I would do it. My child comes first. We are trying to rehome our cat because he bit DD the other night and tried to attack DH when DH tried to put him outside.

I have said this before: people say you can train the dog. But I would never trust that dog again. I'd rather it go to a good home without kids rather than force it to be in a situation it obviously is uncomfortable in.

monalisasus
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Wow I dont even remember posting this. I must have been miscarrying or pregnant at the time and being wackado. Its funny becasue I have resuce dogs I cant even get my one to like small dogs becasue who knows why and Im giving advise...this was humorus to me and I appologize. I must have been replying to others who were saying pitbulls were agressive dogs or I have no idea why I would say that. I just logged back into my account from a long hiadeous, so sorry.

Quoting runnermamaof2:

Quoting monalisasus:

Its your respinsibility as a dog owner to teach your dog to act right. why did you get a dog. Irresponsible in my book that you didnt dominate that dog from day one the snarling is a symptom of bad behavior and no boundries and limitations, i feel since you want to give him up you should so someobe whk knows what they are doing can help. Please never get another dog if you wont work with them then it just leads to bad dogs and euthinasua. Sorry i have rescue dogs and i know its the owner that is responsible for behavior, just watch ceasar milan.

Whoa lady! Obviously you skipped the parts where I stated he was punished for bad behavior! And second I do know what I am doing....do you know what assuming does? My dad TD dogs in the military- I know what the crap I am doing. Get off your high horse. I have been around them my whole life and have trained and shown them. Never did I say I never worked with him. Seems you just chose to infer what you wanted to. Don't hurt yourself jumping to conclusions.

.Peaches.
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Uh, yeah, the dog would definitely be gone. Not up for discussion.

LoveMyLos
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:11 PM

lol no. god forbid the dog give a warning, or let you know he has bounderies also!  

LoveMyLos
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:13 PM

this is years old...wtf?!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)