Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Would you get rid of your dog if he snarled at your child/ren?

Posted by   + Show Post
Thus morning my 1 1/2 toy poodle/bichon freise lunged and snarled at my 4 year old. I promptly posted an ad on CL that he is for sale. Then I let my husband know(the dog was a Christmas present from him). Now my husband is pissed! He thinks that is not reason enough to get rid of him. I think if a dog is showing aggressive behavior towards kids they need to not be around chilren anymore. Now my son has been mean to the dog a couple times in the past but has been great for awhile. What would you do?
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:26 AM
Replies (21-30):
kajira
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2011 at 12:03 PM

it sounds like you guys haven't been consistent enough with him to enforce rules and boundaries so he rules the roost at your home.

Quoting runnermamaof2:

Quoting Luvmyriley:

I forgot to mention thus pitbull weighs 80 pounds and still knocks over my husband. He jumps and chews and growled at my daughter when she was an infant. He still doesn't behave despite having been sent to 2 different trainers

sophiesister2
by Member on Jun. 15, 2011 at 12:05 PM
He's not at there home

Quoting kajira:

it sounds like you guys haven't been consistent enough with him to enforce rules and boundaries so he rules the roost at your home.

Quoting runnermamaof2:

Quoting Luvmyriley:

I forgot to mention thus pitbull weighs 80 pounds and still knocks over my husband. He jumps and chews and growled at my daughter when she was an infant. He still doesn't behave despite having been sent to 2 different trainers

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melly_v88
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 12:06 PM
My jack russell growls and snarls at my 1 and 2 year old all the time. i mean its your call but just snarling isn't reason enough for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarcasimom
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 12:13 PM

I'd get rid of the dog too. How would your husband feel if the dog attacks your child???

Sarcasimom
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Quoting melly_v88:

My jack russell growls and snarls at my 1 and 2 year old all the time. i mean its your call but just snarling isn't reason enough for me.

Can I ask what is enough? At what point would you get rid of the dog? After it bites?

2lilmamas
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 12:15 PM
Yes I would. I would never endanger my child.
geronima2003
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 12:16 PM
Yes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom_of_one_2010
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2011 at 12:17 PM
if it was my dog they would be in a training class first if that did not work, they would be out the door
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nightngale83
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 12:18 PM
I would get rid of it
kajira
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2011 at 12:19 PM

A dog only has a few ways to communicate, and growling snarling is one of them.

being vocal and communicating doesn't mean they are going to bite.... ^.^

Most dogs that bite don't give any warning. one that gives warning is predictable.

Quoting Sarcasimom:

Quoting melly_v88:

Can I ask what is enough? At what point would you get rid of the dog? After it bites?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)