Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you get rid of your dog if he snarled at your child/ren?

Posted by   + Show Post
Thus morning my 1 1/2 toy poodle/bichon freise lunged and snarled at my 4 year old. I promptly posted an ad on CL that he is for sale. Then I let my husband know(the dog was a Christmas present from him). Now my husband is pissed! He thinks that is not reason enough to get rid of him. I think if a dog is showing aggressive behavior towards kids they need to not be around chilren anymore. Now my son has been mean to the dog a couple times in the past but has been great for awhile. What would you do?
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:26 AM
Replies (31-40):
Sarcasimom
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I still wouldn't want to take any chances where my kids are involved. I have a jack russell and a golden retriever and they're great with my kids but if either of them did this, I'd get rid of them. My kids are more important than a dog. I wouldn't want to have something happen down the road and say oh shit, I should have done something when he first snarled at them.

Quoting kajira:

A dog only has a few ways to communicate, and growling snarling is one of them.

being vocal and communicating doesn't mean they are going to bite.... ^.^

Most dogs that bite don't give any warning. one that gives warning is predictable.

Quoting Sarcasimom:

Quoting melly_v88:

My jack russell growls and snarls at my 1 and 2 year old all the time. i mean its your call but just snarling isn't reason enough for me.

Can I ask what is enough? At what point would you get rid of the dog? After it bites?

dustinsmom1
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Yep, in a heartbeat. Especially since my dog is almost 70 pounds and hurt my child in a flash if he wanted to. Toy dogs tend to me bad w/ children anyway, being notoriously nippy and nasty.

runnermamaof2
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 12:34 PM
Neville(the poodle) has been in obedience classes. He also won't DARE to do that around my husband who is top dog but works 60 hours a week. So maybe it is a dominance thing? I even tried seeing if my neighbors would let him live with them but they can't. I just feel like we can't take any more chances. He could bite his face or be fine for eternity- I just don't know!
Sarcasimom
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Quoting runnermamaof2:

Neville(the poodle) has been in obedience classes. He also won't DARE to do that around my husband who is top dog but works 60 hours a week. So maybe it is a dominance thing? I even tried seeing if my neighbors would let him live with them but they can't. I just feel like we can't take any more chances. He could bite his face or be fine for eternity- I just don't know!

That's the problem, you just don't know. It sucks and I would be heart broken if I had to get rid of my dog but I'd be even more heart broken if something happened to my child because I didn't do anything about it.

Good luck no matter what is decided!

EireLass
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I'd be chastising the child first. You're admitting the child is the problem. And I would never allow the child to play with the dog or be alone with the dog. 

brunac
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I had a poodle/bichon frisee mix and they are not good children dogs-it's just the nature of these kinds of dogs, a lab would be a better choice

NeverSettled
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 12:46 PM
I've had my dog for 9 yrs my children r 4 and 7 they know zoey (the dog) was here first. Lol she is also a small breed and will bite them at a moments notice and that's the risk they take in bothering her.So they don't they learned their roles long ago.So that's a hell no for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2011 at 12:46 PM

this is exactly how we were when my son was younger.

he's 7+ now. and even then, he's pretty much supervised with the dogs still. Kids are just as unpredictable as animals and I don't trust either of them. LOL

Quoting EireLass:

I'd be chastising the child first. You're admitting the child is the problem. And I would never allow the child to play with the dog or be alone with the dog. 

Loveing_My_Life
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I would get rid of it,

My DH got me a rat terrier, And i loved her , she was so tiny just a baby when we got her, But she did nipped my oldest when he was about a year and 1/2 we tried to teach her not to , but only 2 days after she nipped at him she snarled at him so we got rid of her asap, and said little dogs arnt really childrens animals.

Rafaelsmom
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry and I don't mean to be rude but I am so sick of seeing these comments about pit bulls and how evil they are and how someone doesn't want them in their house just because of the breeds reputation. Pit Bulls are wonderful dogs! My 14 months old Pit Bull/American Bulldog Mix was rescued from a fighting ring as a pup and I adopted him at 6 months old. He is my service dog...what is so scary about that?? Absoultely nothing. I wouldn't have any other breed as a service dog.

Sorry, but there is nothing scary about my Pit Bull.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)