Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Would you get rid of your dog if he snarled at your child/ren?

Posted by   + Show Post
Thus morning my 1 1/2 toy poodle/bichon freise lunged and snarled at my 4 year old. I promptly posted an ad on CL that he is for sale. Then I let my husband know(the dog was a Christmas present from him). Now my husband is pissed! He thinks that is not reason enough to get rid of him. I think if a dog is showing aggressive behavior towards kids they need to not be around chilren anymore. Now my son has been mean to the dog a couple times in the past but has been great for awhile. What would you do?
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:26 AM
Replies (41-50):
gina6239
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Yup, I would do the exact same thing you did. I might have even taken him straight to the shelter, but I can understand selling him if your husband spent money buying him.

kajira
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2011 at 1:25 PM

my son's dog was mine before he retired.

scary right? LOL

Quoting Rafaelsmom:

I'm sorry and I don't mean to be rude but I am so sick of seeing these comments about pit bulls and how evil they are and how someone doesn't want them in their house just because of the breeds reputation. Pit Bulls are wonderful dogs! My 14 months old Pit Bull/American Bulldog Mix was rescued from a fighting ring as a pup and I adopted him at 6 months old. He is my service dog...what is so scary about that?? Absoultely nothing. I wouldn't have any other breed as a service dog.

Sorry, but there is nothing scary about my Pit Bull.

Rafaelsmom
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Super scary lol. Scary Rottie. Ughh it just aggervates the heck out of me. I'm so sick of the looks I get in the stores and the people running away from me and my SD because he's a Pit Bull. He is the farthest thing from scary.

Quoting kajira:

scary right? LOL

Quoting Rafaelsmom:

I'm sorry and I don't mean to be rude but I am so sick of seeing these comments about pit bulls and how evil they are and how someone doesn't want them in their house just because of the breeds reputation. Pit Bulls are wonderful dogs! My 14 months old Pit Bull/American Bulldog Mix was rescued from a fighting ring as a pup and I adopted him at 6 months old. He is my service dog...what is so scary about that?? Absoultely nothing. I wouldn't have any other breed as a service dog.

sugareemommee
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2011 at 1:28 PM

I would not get rid of him, dogs have serious adjusting to do when a baby comes into the house.  do some research and start spending more time with the dog and training.  My dog growled at my now 4 year old, he was 6 months, the dog was under a year.  A growl is a warning sign that they're annoyed, a lunge?  not so much -- you need to keep them seperated unless you are able to sit down and work with them together.  good luck momma -- our dog is amazing now, he's almost 5 and he's an angel, so protective, and never had an incident since the first and only growl. 

melpompa
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 1:30 PM

no I would not

kajira
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2011 at 1:31 PM

I have an american bulldog now.

he was 85 pounds at 8 months old. that's him at 8 months old and our daughter when she was 5 months old.

such evil viciousness!!! OMG! :P

Quoting Rafaelsmom:

Super scary lol. Scary Rottie. Ughh it just aggervates the heck out of me. I'm so sick of the looks I get in the stores and the people running away from me and my SD because he's a Pit Bull. He is the farthest thing from scary.

Quoting kajira:

scary right? LOL

Quoting Rafaelsmom:

cherrytree3
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 1:33 PM

My German Sheperd was born in Feb of 2002 and our first child was born the same year in december. he has never really been the kind of dog that the kid could climb all over an dmake of , but he's never bitten them.  If they get to close to him he sometimes makes a "grawl" sound and moves away from them ~ that is his "warning" that states he does not want to be bothered.  he's never snapped at them though......Im not sure.....I think if he snapped @ them (intending to bite them) he would be gone

Sarcasimom
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 1:38 PM
Those pictures are adorable... My bil has a pitbull and I love her but she's not allowed in my house again until she's trained. She came over a couple times and knocked my kids down, kissed them in the mouth and wouldn't stop and jumps up on counters and over gates. It has nothing to do with her breed, but her training or lack there of I should say!
kajira
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2011 at 1:39 PM

my bulldog is super mellow, and when it's bed time (he sleeps in our room with us), he respects the baby gates, but if we leave him in a room alone with a baby gate up, he just steps over it and follows us.

he expects to be where we are. LOL

and jumping up IS something that has to be worked on, he's 9 1/2m onths old and still a work in progress, he's still a puppy... but he's a gigantic puppy who's still growing.

he's over 90 pounds now! LOL

Quoting Sarcasimom:

Those pictures are adorable... My bil has a pitbull and I love her but she's not allowed in my house again until she's trained. She came over a couple times and knocked my kids down, kissed them in the mouth and woukdnt stop and jumos up on counters and over gates. It has nothing to do with her breed, but her training or lack there of I should say!

irememberwhen59
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Get rid of the dog.  I think you are doing the right thing.  I paid 1,400.00 for a borzoi and she lunged at a child that was doing nothing, but sitting by his dad.  She was gone the next day.  Dogs can inflict a lot of damage both physically and mentally. Some dogs just are not good with children.  We now have a kuvuasz and he does not like children.  When the grand kids are around we muzzle him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)