Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Facebook! Seriously!?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:46 PM
  • 21 Replies

Do you or any of your friends/family post personal stuff on Facebook about their spouses or SOs? Do you ever post or read posts, like, about fights or coming home drunk or storming out?

If you post that, why do you do that? Have you ever regretted it?

If you've read it and then, say, later see the person who wrote that, what have you done?

I ask because last night DH and I just read some pretty nasty stuff on FB between a married couple. I just couldn't believe they had no qualms about announcing their problems to the world. We don't want to know about your shit, about him coming home drunk, her staying at her mom's with the baby...

My husband would never do anything like that to me--ever--and I'd never do it to him, but even if something happened, I wouldn't be telling my friends and family that on FB. That's why I'm wondering...

Why would someone do that? To make an example out of his/her partner? To get a rise out of people? To garner advice? To get people "on their side"?

slightlyperfect

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poshkat
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:48 PM

only once did i post about a fight. it was just to get opinions.

srichardson0326
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:51 PM

A few of my FB friends post some really crazy drama. Example: "This is it, I have hit rock bottom, think I'll just end everything tonight."

I usually will read it, I do not respond on FB though. When I see them next I confront them about it and let them know that it really isn't a great idea to put all of their baggage on FB. To me, it's a cry out for attention. The worst kind of attention. 

BabyFruit Ticker

SlightlyPerfect
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:52 PM

But why do they want attention like that?

Quoting srichardson0326:

A few of my FB friends post some really crazy drama. Example: "This is it, I have hit rock bottom, think I'll just end everything tonight."

I usually will read it, I do not respond on FB though. When I see them next I confront them about it and let them know that it really isn't a great idea to put all of their baggage on FB. To me, it's a cry out for attention. The worst kind of attention. 

slightlyperfect

poshkat
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Quoting srichardson0326:

that's annoying. when people start to get too ridiculous on there i either hide their posts or delete them. facebook to me is to hear updates and talk to friends and family overseas or in different states, no drama needed!!

collegegrad2013
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:00 PM
I try to keep it light and upbeat. But realistic too. Im not always happy and we dont always get along, bur why announce your issues on fb??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Javamama619
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:03 PM

i don't post things in detail but I will post something like "f*ck it" or "why the hell do I try" or stuff like that or something about being pissy or what ever and dh says thats too much

Rachie7987
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:05 PM

In the past when my husband did something majorly wrong, I did write a nasty comment about him. It was when he was deployed and when he got to his first base overseas, he decided to go out to the bar on base with friends instead of calling home to let us know that he got there. I was hurt and I let my emotions get the best of me. I write something along the lines of, "So happy my husband would rather go to the bra and drink instead of calling his worried family to let us know he got there." When I calmed down, I realized that was something I shouldn't have put on facebook, I should have dealt with it by talking to him. From that day, I told myself I would never air my dirty laundry on facebook and I haven't since. Facebook is not a place to air my dirty laundry.

XxXSxyMamaXxX
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:06 PM

i do but i make it private no one can see my vent not even family or friends :)

Starleet
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:07 PM

I don't but I have seen it on there by friends and family.

Jess0915
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:09 PM

I've put little things, but nothing major, it's no one's business. It makes me feel uncomfortable when people do that because I feel like I'm eavesdropping on their private lives, that stuff should be handled in privacy and sometimes with a counselor, imo.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)