• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it rude?....

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:22 PM
  • 34 Replies

My DH niece is getting married on Saturday.  My sister in law called and asked if we would stay until the receiption is over to clean up.  (She also asked her other sibilings and her husbands sibilings)  I find this very distasteful.  Is it rude to ask the guests to stay and help clean up?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
firenice2011
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Not to me because she only asked family...

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:30 PM
Actually it depends? The reception hall isn't responsible fot break down or clean up. I know when me&DH did our big wedding at the end of the reception we cleaned up. Then our families saw us&said no bride&groom working? So they helped,I wish from jump we would have ask or designated help early on. But how you look at it,it depends on if its rude or not! I tend to take on a motherly sense when at functions and help pick up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillie70
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:33 PM
Rude to ask friends but not family! I'd do my part to help set up and clean up to save them $.
4FAM67860509
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:37 PM
I did all the cleaning at my friend's reception. I wasn't asked though. I agree with the rest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abra
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:37 PM

I agree. We stuck around to help clean up after my SIL got married.

Quoting firenice2011:

Not to me because she only asked family...

Daisyducc
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:07 PM
Random guests, yes...family, depends on the situation. If the venue requires that the family clean up, they may appreciate the help. I wouldn't feel comfortable asking this...but if a family member asked me, I would probably just do what I could to be helpful.
XxXSxyMamaXxX
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:10 PM

wow i didnt know the place where you had the reception at wouldnt do the clean up when me and my hubby got married we didnt have to clean up they did it themselves  although it wasnt messy or anything really due to there were only adults there and everyone was tidy i guess but it came with the package we bought when we did our reception

EireLass
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:19 PM

She's asking family. 

2boysmommy.js
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:47 PM
nope cause its family.. Thats what fam and close friends are for
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collegegrad2013
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:49 PM
Family, nope. Friends/other guests yep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)