Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Think The Family Of A Murder Victim Should Have Any Say In What Punishment Is Given To The Murderer?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:33 PM
  • 13 Replies

shrugging

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlannaMaria
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:34 PM

I'm not sure on this one.. i want to see what you ladies think and why?

brittney28
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:34 PM
Absaloutly!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlannaMaria
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:37 PM

bump!

suziq1982
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:40 PM

I believe that they should be allowed to speak about their loss to the courts. How it has affected their life, their family. I believe the should give their opinion on what the punishment should be. I do not believe they should be able to decide. I think the judge and the jury should have the final say but they should hear the families outcries.

AlannaMaria
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:44 PM

yea def! That should be part of there punishment to hear what the family has to say and they should be able to say anything they want.

IQuoting suziq1982:I believe that they should be allowed to speak about their loss to the courts. How it has affected their life, their family. I believe the should give their opinion on what the punishment should be. I do not believe they should be able to decide. I think the judge and the jury should have the final say but they should hear the families outcries.

Mikeysmom1001
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:24 PM

YES!!! My brother was murdered in 2005 and I wish we could have had a say in the punishment of the low life that killed him! My brother's gone FOREVER, that scum can get out in a minimum of 45 years, sounds like a lot to some but not nearly enough to me!!!!

DaleCNowak
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:28 PM

I would have to say yes and no. The reason is if you have a child that was murdered then people would want really heinous punishments and rightly so. However if it was an annoying uncle that no one liked and a lot of people just wanted to go away then maybe not so much. 

coupon_ash
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:31 PM

idk... the families would want harsher punishment, which is understandable!!!
I just don't believe in the death penalty. It's just a big contradiciton...plus it lets them off easy. Make them sit in their cell forever. 

Rain2Rinse
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:09 PM

They should be able to share with the court  how the murderers actions affected them. They should not have a say in how the offender is punished. If we allow the family of murder victims to have a say in sentencing, why not the guy who was mugged? Or the woman who was raped? And what is to stop them from doling out punishments that do not fit the crime? Punishments that are not constitutional? 

The mother of a murder victim cannot hand out a sentence without being biased. That is what the courts are for. They should be allowed to do their job with no interference from the families.

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:16 PM
I'm sure if I was ever in the situation I'd want a say but I'm going to say no they shouldn't. After a crime has been committed against a loved one emotions will be high and your judgement is gonna be skewed. Justice is about fairness and how fair and impartial could you be if you were so involved in something so emotionally charged?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)