Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Holier Than Thou Military Wives Rant

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 8:09 PM
  • 61 Replies
4 moms liked this

So a little background about me. I am 27, I have been with my husband since I was 14 (married when I was 17), we have 2 children (4 and 7) and we have been in the military for 10 years come Jan. 1st. He is the one that is enlisted and I am a sahm. 

OK now for my rant. 

I actually had some young, narrow minded, military wife come up to me today (she couldn't of been more than 19 or 20; same for her husband), while I was at the commissary, and tell me I should be ashamed of myself and that she feels sorry for whomever I am married to because of the way I look. That I am bringing him down along with myself in the eyes of others, and I shouldn't even be allowed to raise children because I am teaching them to be "immoral."

What made her say this?

Her husband made a comment about my sleeveless shirt that showed off my full sleeved tattoo. Apparently he felt that I was inappropriately dressed, even though the collar of the shirt came all the way up to my neck and the bottom of my shirt went down to my thighs and I was wearing blue jeans with sneakers.

She ACTUALLY turned her nose up at me while she proceeded to tell me I was basically just a bad person. About half way through her little insults, I couldn't help but to start laughing. It isn't that i was intentionally trying to be rude, but i was just kind of shocked that he felt the need to talk to me like that.

I let her say what she had to say and even asked her if she had anything more to add. When she said no all i said was "I am sorry that you two feel that about someone you don't even know. If you would like I will explain to you why I have so much pride in my artwork I wear and maybe you might change your minds. It could be an eye opener so later on down the road Karma won't come back for your mistreatment of other."

Well apparently that did not bode well with her and she proceeded to tell me once again that I was immorally and that her husband was Senior Airman and that she had more respect for than I do and that's why he was able to progress so fast.

So of course I was getting irritated, because my kids where ready to leave also, so I told her that I was happy for her if she thought it was all her doing that her husband made rank and that she should probably go get herself one of those patches to sew on her own clothes, just to let everyone know how great of a wife she is. And that I would be sure to run home to my measly Master Sargent of a Husband to beg for forgiveness that he wasn't a Commander. 

And then I couldn't suppress another laugh, because the look in her face was priceless. I hate women that use their husbands job and position as a means to make a point about themselves. I only said what I did to prove a point to her that my husband, in no way, was being held back because of me.

She finally let it go and went back to being her husbands perfect little girl. But it really does annoy me when wives get holier than thou about other people because they THINK they are better then others.

Well that's all I wanted to say. 

<(='.'=)>

P.S. My tattoos are in no way offensive unless you just don't like tattoo;s. My whole arm is in dedication to my Papa (grandpa) that died 3 years ago. It is all Native American pieces, since he was Cherokee.

by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
youngmami07
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

good for you!!!!!!! i too hate military wives that think they are so much better than everyone else

nazgor
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 8:19 PM
Good for you. I was in the army for a bit and family functions were nuts. And the frg.

What is a senior airman equal to?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WayaWesa
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 8:20 PM
4 moms liked this

Ive actually been pretty use to it for a while, but I usually get it from the older ones. One mom that lived down the street from me actually came to my house to tell me I needed to reteach my daughter about what normal is, because my daughter told her son that people with tattoos are the normal ones and that they are much nicer.

I couldn't help but laugh because my daughter is 7 and extremely open minded and opinionated and I am so proud of her for being that way especially after all the other adults from her friends parents to her teachers try to tell her other wise.

She got into a debate with my friends wife about gay marriage. My daughter asked her if they were actually hurting her by loving each other. I died laughing because the wife didn't know what to say.

WayaWesa
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Senior Airman is an E-2, not sure what that is equivalent to in the Army.

CameronsMommy23
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 8:22 PM
Wtg! I would've lost it so good job keeping your cool!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
youngmami07
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

sounds like your doing a damn good job raising your dd!!

bunnywzrd
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2011 at 8:24 PM

I want to see your tattoo

nazgor
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 8:25 PM
Just a private. I'm not sure, if they're considered the same, she would talk about his rank like that. She can be proud, but spouting off to random people will get her in trouble sooner or later.

Quoting WayaWesa:

Senior Airman is an E-2, not sure what that is equivalent to in the Army.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a_blair
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 8:27 PM
I would've lost it. I'm 27 and also have 2 kids. Hubby and I both have tattoos. I have 14 tattoos and he has sleeves but we aren't bad people. The only difference between people with tattoos is that we don't judge those without.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bubbasmom0917
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

mps would have been called if someone said that to me. i am so scared of a senior airman..not! i would have made that poor boy cry. he wouldn't be enjoying his job anymore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN