Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So nervous about his parents !! they are vegetarians

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:45 AM
  • 11 Replies

And they are coming to stay with us for 2 weeks while I have our baby. I have no idea how to be a good hostess when they only eat vegetarian. I mean, I can make a broccoli casserole and maybe some lentils and rice..but how should I handle this? It makes me so nervous to think they are expecting ( not sure if they are expecting this or it's just in my head) nice dinners when I don't even cook myself everyday and I;m also not a vegetarian. It is killing my nerves !!  I wish it wouldn't though.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EmeraldBirdie
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:54 AM
2 moms liked this

Don't worry yourself to death. :) If they are coming to stay after the baby is born, they are probably coming to help you. I imagine they're not going to expect you to make them nice vegetarian meals. Let them know up front that you have no idea what to do for them & I'm sure they will think it's sweet that you are more concerned about their comfort when your about to give birth.

*Take it easy, things will be just fine* & Congratulations :)

Due9
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Help me out ladies !!!

Due9
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Thank you so much !!:) I will try not to worry

Quoting EmeraldBirdie:

Don't worry yourself to death. :) If they are coming to stay after the baby is born, they are probably coming to help you. I imagine they're not going to expect you to make them nice vegetarian meals. Let them know up front that you have no idea what to do for them & I'm sure they will think it's sweet that you are more concerned about their comfort when your about to give birth.

CafeMom Tickers
EireLass
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Ask mom if shell teach you how to cook vegetarian......and act interested, even if youre not.....but really, if you are recovering from having a baby, then hubby should be entertaining them, not you.
mommiecassie
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I agree with this!  They are probably going to be more interested in that new grandbaby, than in if you are cooking them gourmet vegetarian meals. 

Quoting EmeraldBirdie:

Rain2Rinse
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Dont worry about it.

I am vegetarian and my in laws are not. They cook like normal. I make do.

Try one recipe just to show you're making an effort. They are grown ups. They will manage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Due9
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 4:14 PM

BUMP!

GypsyRayne
by Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd was vegetarian for 8 years, she was a teen, but here is what we did at meal times, I cooked as normal and she ate sides alot. We made vegetable soup, potato soup, chili with no meat, just make it the same as with meat, only don't add the meat, lol, brocolii casserole is good, served with rice or potatoes, lentils and rice makes a great meal, serve with salad and bread, pasta with sauce, no meat, add veggies if you want, maybe zucinni. These are just some ideas, there are plenty of  things tehy can eat.

If they are coming for the birth of your child, then I'm sure they will be happy to cook for you, instead of the other way around.

biancalina20
by Bianca Lina on Nov. 18, 2011 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Well maybe you can ask them what they like to eat and make? And maybe they can help you cook... who knows, maybe they will make some meals that you havent made before that you might like as well. Oh and maybe you should ask them if it bothers you if yall eat meat in front of them.......

MzHuycke
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Cook as you normally do, just omit the meat. I had my brother come stay with us for 2 weeks and he is vegetarian. He said when he cooks, he uses things like tofu and mushrooms in place of the meat in a recipe. Works for him :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)