Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it too much to ask?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:46 PM
  • 195 Replies

Okay ladies I work as a corrections shift supervisor which means 50 + hour work weeks. Am I asking too much of my husband to ask for help with house work? All I asked him to do was mop the tile floors and vaccume. The next night I asked him to please put the laundry away and do the dishes..The end result was our dog had a accident onthe kitchen floor and of course I slipped and fell in it, getting hurt when I landed. I do all the cooking and normal cleaning its just holiday time is biserk in the correctional systems. Is it  too much to ask for a little help sometimes? Is it wrong to ask for help? I also spend most of my time at home chasing our two year old.

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Rounds
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:48 PM
3 moms liked this
no, he should help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ngelulu
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:58 PM

He should help. Does he work?

fire_girl7281
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Im glad someone else things so too. It drives me insane after dealing with 300+ inmates per day and wanting to relax, and coming home to a house that looks likea bomb went off!
xo.MommyW.xo
7 moms liked this
Tell him to get off his lazy ass
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fire_girl7281

He works day shift as a butcher..so hes usually done work at least 3 or more hours before im due home.

countrygirlkat
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:00 PM
13 moms liked this

In any marriage the division of labor is a negotiation and one that needs to be on going to change when life changes.  Regardless of whether the mom is a SAHM or a working mother it is a negotiation.  What I would do is sit down with you DH at a time when there is no stress and nothing that needs done right then.  Write down how many hours you both work and the chores that need done regurally in the house.  Then go through and divide up things in a fair way where you are each able to have input and are each able to pick some of your favorites to do.  This makes it so there isn't a quesiton of who is going to do what and you are both happier. 

Ngelulu
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:01 PM
9 moms liked this

If he works less than you, I think he should clean up a bit more than you. He is at home more than you. 

Quoting fire_girl7281:

He works day shift as a butcher..so hes usually done work at least 3 or more hours before im due home.

CafeMom Tickers
jmlmomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:02 PM
2 moms liked this

NO its not!!!! My husband works 60 plus hours a week and has for the 25 plus years we've been married...I work PART time.... He still helps and truth be told he does most of the cleaning! (he likes it) :o).. but if he didn't I would still feel like he should..

gr8d8n3mom
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:26 PM
Quoting countrygirlkat:

In any marriage the division of labor is a negotiation and one that needs to be on going to change when life changes.  Regardless of whether the mom is a SAHM or a working mother it is a negotiation.  What I would do is sit down with you DH at a time when there is no stress and nothing that needs done right then.  Write down how many hours you both work and the chores that need done regurally in the house.  Then go through and divide up things in a fair way where you are each able to have input and are each able to pick some of your favorites to do.  This makes it so there isn't a quesiton of who is going to do what and you are both happier. 

This says it all

ShannaBee
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
He needs to help out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)