• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Marriage counseling

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:49 PM
  • 9 Replies
Has anyone done marriage counseling? If so, how did you find your counselor? My husband and I have just had a couple issues recently that we think might be more productively worked out with a third party involved but I have no idea how to even start to search for that third party.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
OliviaW.
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:50 PM
No idea but here's a bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JZB
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:51 PM

recommended fro friend or hurh sorry y keyboard is acting funny

liz.1986
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:18 PM

We do counseling with his unit chaplain.

Google marriage counselors in your area then call to see if your insurance (if you have insurance) covers them. You can always switch counselors if you're not happy with the current one.

Jeni1124
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:02 AM

We are looking into counseling. I called our insurance and got a list of counselors in the area. I also reached out to my pastor for recommendations (we can't do it with him because he's like a dad to me and that is just too weird for me).

mom2konnor
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:15 AM

MY DH and I have done counseling, we were both at the end of our wits with each other, and it def. saved our marriage, we learned so much about each other that was unknown before, like the other ladies said, look into the couneslors in your area, read up on them and pick the person who you think would be the best fit, also see if your insurance covers it, ours only covers single couseling and not couples so it did get pretty spendy. but it was worth it

babymaycker
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:40 PM
We did before we seperated. We reconciled. Then sought further counseling. Closer now than we've ever been.

We called insurance and got a list of approved therapists and just tried from the top of the list. We loved number 1 though!
BaileynMe
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:54 PM

We went through the EAP (employee assistance program) at DH's work. Most larger employers have an EAP; I worked for Borders before they went bankrupt and I've worked for Walmart and they both have one, and the local health system I work for now has one. Sometimes it's just advertised as a hotline that employees can call if they need someone to talk to, but they can set you up with a counselor. DH's work paid for 6 sessions and the counselor told us they often approve more if needed.

purpleducky
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:52 PM
I am trained as a marriage and family therapist. I would highly suggest looking for a certified and licensed marriage and family therapist. If you type marriage and family therapist into Google it should bring up the main website which has a search feature.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomToovey
by Marianne on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:57 PM

We haven't been through counseling, but I know most churches can do marriage counseling for free if you're a member and for very little if you're not

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)