Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is your man romantic or not so much?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:04 AM
  • 10 Replies

I grew up watching my dad and how he treated my mom. He barely ever bought her anything, even on birthdays or holidays, they just went by without notice. (Unless one of us kids did something for her) I maybe heard him say he loved her twice the whole time I was living at home, they have been married 30 years and my mom says that he has always been like that. He wasn't a romantic, he isn't good at expressing his emotions and all that stuff. My oldest brother is the same way, he is getting engaged soon and my mom and I have to tell him to do romantic or thoughtful things or else he will not think of them on his own. 

I thought men were like this and it bothered me because I read romance books and watched movies and I wanted that, but I thought it was impossible to really find a guy like that, until I met my husband. When we were dating he would call me every morning to just hear my voice, he called me everynight to talk for hours, he bought me things all the time, called me every sweet name in the book, wrote me poems and would send me long e-mails describing our dates together and how they made him feel.

Once we got married everyone said that would stop, but it hasn't we've been married almost 2 years and have a baby and another on the way and he is still just as romantic, when I was working one day he picked me up in a suit and had a dozen roses then took me home and had me wear my old prom dress and he had candles and we danced in the living room. 

He was going to take me to a military ball, but wasn't able to so we had the ball at home once our son was in the bed, again in the living room. He writes me letters and buys me things. He is an over the top romantic, he tells me he loves me probably about 50 times a day maybe more. He tells me I'm beautiful over and over again through out the day even when I have no makeup on or look gross. I seriously feel like he's from a movie. 

But my friends all complain about their husbands about how they barely say they love them or buy them stuff or how they don't express their emotions well. Did I just get a rare breed of men? Or is anyone's else husband romantic? Girls have gotten mad at me for talking about the stuff he does or don't believe me. Sometimes I feel like the odd girl out when they are sitting around bashing their husbands. I mean I'm glad my husband is the way he is, I am soooooo happy. But is it really that rare to have a romantic husband?

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MarGeee
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Wow your mom and dad are an exact replica of my husband and I.  

MarGeee
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM

In fact I get kind of sad,like I feel I'm not good enough for the romance in our life.

sweetmissy_05
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Yes he's always trying to be romantic

shadow_lark
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:10 AM

My dh is kind of in the middle.  Its hard for him since we dont get to see him that much...and the things he does arent actions....Its the way he looks at me, the spontaneous affections, the way that pretty much everything he does is with me and our children first in his mind and how he tries to protect me when he's not here.  He tells me he loves me a few times a day.  But he hardly ever buys me gifts, which I'm ok with.  We dont have the money for that.

Are you young and married?         Join us in Young Married Mothers; a place to connect with other young moms, get advice or just hang around.  http://www.cafemom.com/group/116197

aidansmommy219
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:13 AM
My Dh can be romantic, when he cares enough to make an effort. For the most part he's like your dad, but since I tell him I love him all the time he says it back.
Smilely08
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:18 AM
If my husband was to ever be romantic, I would think something was wrong with him. He was never romantic when we were dating!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChrissyReznor
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM
My hubby USED to be romantic,then we got married and it all stopped. He does tell me he loves me all the time. He rarely does anything nice,but its been known to happen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aadensma
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:28 AM
Back when my dh and I were starting to date, I guess you could call it, he would text me every morning and say "good morning beautiful, have a good day" and I'd get random texts throughout the day of him telling me he loves me and he would call me during any free time he had. He got me flowers on vday and my bday. It was such a change from my ex who got me a flower...once. And a card...once...lol. My dh surprises me at christmas every year, he's sneaky. He is not overly romantic but he is still considerate and sweet :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BonitaM
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM

My husband isn't very romantic but then again neither am I.  I really don't want that.  My sisters husbands are always calling them "sweety" and "love" and things like that and being cuddly and loving to them.  Telling them they shouldn't do so much and helping them out with everything.  They are glued together all the time.  My sisters are happy and that's great.  I would be so annoyed if DH acted like my BIL's.  DH does little things for me that make my heart melt although they aren't romantic things I know he does it because he loves me.  He'll start the car for me in winter and always fill it with gas when he can.  He's rough and he's tough but every once in a while he does something sweet for me and I love it.  He's also the grand gesture kind of guy so I guess that makes up for all the small things he misses.

MomToovey
by Marianne on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:31 PM

My mom and dad said "I love you" often and never hesitated to kiss/hug/hold hands, etc in front of me. He didn't often perform any romantic gestures, but he was never afraid to let my mom know he loved her. My husband is the same way now. He doesn't always come home with flowers or do some big thing for me, but every single day he says and shows that he loves me and I love him for it! ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)