Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Pre Marriage Counseling

Posted by   + Show Post

Is this something that crossed your mind before getting married?

Did anyone do it before getting married? Did it better prepare you for marriage life? Would you recommend it to couples about to tie the knot??

If you didn't do it, do you wish you had??

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Replies (31-39):
misslady80013
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:27 AM
We have been going for almost 6 months. I do think it has helped.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tlbmrf
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:41 AM
My mil payed for dh and I to go to pre marital counseling when I was going through a lot with my mom being sick. That counselor was useless I hated her. We then did it through our pastor who was marrying us and it was better helped us make sure we were on the same page
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rla9319
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 8:41 AM

we are a young family with 3 kids so we do not have all that much alone time together and so counseling works well for us... hope to be getting the show on the road here soon. but, i think its good to do bc you never no eather one of you my have something deep down that you need to get out before you take the plunge!!!!  

katemarie97
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:03 AM

i def wish i had done it.my hubby and i rushed into our marriage..both active duty and he was transferring to a different duty station and to stay together we got hitched..almost two yrs later and one 11 month deployment down we still dont live together,have a 7month old son, and tons of marriage problems..mostly from not knowing how to communicate.we are working on living together now and marriage counseling is a must.

JSmommy66
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:18 AM
If you're marrying someone you marry them for better and for worse a marriage certificate is not going to fix the problems that you have. I would think long and hard before marrying someone that you cannot fix problems with in your relationship. Some people need some guidence but if you're seeking a professional then I would be curious as to why.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyStork
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:21 AM
With my first marriage, we had to, and even had to take a test to see if we were compatible. What a sham....if it was for rea.It would have shown we should never have gotten married. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
artistmom889
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:32 AM

The minister we wanted would not officiate unless we wen through it, It was pretty useful to us in that it gave us a 'reality check.' about the seriousness of marriage. He also provided some pretty useful advice. I think that I would recommend it.

mommaof697
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM

The pastor that married us said it was part of the package. So it was mandatory Yes I recommend it. IT is not like a regular counseling they just get you to talk through things together that maybe you would not have thought about.   Like how much money can each spend without asking the other? Who is in charge of the bills? Where do you spend holidays? when and how often do you take vacations?  Are there kids in the future? when?   just things that you might not have worked out yet and to help talk it through before there is a fight.

Kimber1984
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Well, to get married by a minister, it is required or they wont marry you. I think it is a good idea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN