Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage
Okay ladies, I am engaged.. And trying very hard to plan this whole shindig out. I will give you a little background then hope for good responses! I am torn.. I do not want a big wedding. I have a pretty severe anxiety disorder where being in front of crowds makes me very ancy and flustered. I am opting more the small route, court house even would work and maybe a reception with friends and family. So my question is.. Did you have a big wedding? How was it? If you had a small wedding, how did you do it? Did you feel jipped later on? Thanks for the help :)
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 12:28 AM
Replies (31-40):
Crisd77
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:40 PM
We had it on a small Sternwheeler (think the Mark Twain boat at Disneyland) called the Bahia Belle on Mission Bay (San Diego, Ca) on Memorial Day Sunday. It only would hold 60 people so it was easy to stay small. The best thing we ever did! Still a lot of work but it was beautiful! We even got fireworks from Sea World as a finale!
The same people that we have all our parties with were there. It made no sense to invite 3rd/ 4th cousins that I barely knew.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rmgriffberg
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:50 PM

i had a small wedding (about 50 people). i LOVED it. i do wish i had invited a few other people but that is mostly because we are really close now and i feel bad that i didnt invite them but whats do is done.  i had a beach theme and lots of blues. my dh side doesnt believe in small weddings so some of his family had issues with it but it was my day and it was just right. i dont regret having a small wedding and i dont think i ever will. saved a lot of money too. (got my dress for $70)

Ichthus
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I wanted a smaller wedding than I had (65 ppl), but when I said I wasn't going to invite aunts, uncles, and cousins my aunts said they would hide in the bushes and watch if they had to. I like simple. We had our wedding in my parent's backyard, and we didn't have any attendants. I think it lasted maybe 15-20 minutes. My mom, grandma, and aunts did all of the food and cake picnic style. We didn't do all of the traditional wedding stuff: no dancing, toasts, garter tossing, etc. We spent about $1500 (rented chairs for the ceremony, flowers, dcorations, dress, tux rental, food, etc). The only things I would change is having my husband wear something more simple like white or cream colored pants and shirt, and I didn't like my bouquet. I would just wrap a few roses (or your favorite flower of choice) with a ribbon, and not pay someone to make something fancy. Otherwise, I was very happy with it.

momma4AJ
by Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

i think i had MAYBE 20 people at my wedding. we had a friend of my grandmother's who is ordained  perform it in my mom's living room. then had the cake ( bought at wal-mart) opened the gifts, then my father in law took my new hubby and i to a resturant for dinner.... we couldnt afford anything any bigger but in a few years i would like to renew our vow's. we have been married now for 2 and a half years....

btw, congratulationswedding

lolasoul
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:26 PM
I had my wedding in my parents back yard. We had maybe 50-60 guests, my dad made my cake, and it was pretty low key! I felt it was perfect!!!

I didn't get married for the wedding, I got married for the love of the man of my dreams! If it wasn't for his mom, we would have gone to Vegas!!! (He is the only son in the family, and he is the youngest child, so his mom requested a real wedding, so we did that mainly for her.)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
geronima2003
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:29 PM
Backyard wedding....it was perfect! Had tikis, floating candles in the pool, hanging lights. About 60 people, I had a beautiful dress & we had an officiant come to the house & perform the ceremony. I wouldn't change a thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ksprague
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a small wedding maybe 55 people at most and i was a nervous wreck... i laughed for ten minutes in the middle of my vows and then cried because i laughed. . . lol and no i do not regret my small wedding. we had the wedding in a community center , it was small and a cute place to take pictures afterwards<3 it was in the country.

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this

We had a small wedding in our backyard,and served some sandwiches and salads and champaign after,there was only family and our two best friends. It was nice. I also have a lot of social anxiety,so I completely understand! If you want to do Vegas or courthouse,do it! And a BBQ is a very good way to get people together to celebrate,you don't have to do any reception if you don't want to,you can just send announcements.

Rye2010
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I had a small wedding maybe 30 people and afterwards we did cake punch mints and nuts and opened gifts! I loved the way my wedding turned out I have been married for over a year now and I dont regret one minute of my small wedding! I also freak out in front of crowds so this was perfect for me! We just had a small wedding at a friend from churchs cottage type thing and had the cake and everything to follow we decorated it really nice. I enjoyed every minute of it and  even if I could I wouldnt go back and change a thing! ITs your day do what makes you happy! Good luck

mom1928
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I had a relatively small wedding.  Small church ceremony with about 50 people.  Had a relaxed reception. Just remember to do what YOU want.  Don't worry about outside pressures. Not sure where you live, but Gatlinburg TN is a great place to get married.  Both my sisters did it that way then had a reception when they got home.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN