Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage
Okay ladies, I am engaged.. And trying very hard to plan this whole shindig out. I will give you a little background then hope for good responses! I am torn.. I do not want a big wedding. I have a pretty severe anxiety disorder where being in front of crowds makes me very ancy and flustered. I am opting more the small route, court house even would work and maybe a reception with friends and family. So my question is.. Did you have a big wedding? How was it? If you had a small wedding, how did you do it? Did you feel jipped later on? Thanks for the help :)
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 12:28 AM
Replies (21-30):
LRNdunn
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Quoting MommaH1021:

I've been married twice. The first wedding was about 130 people and the second was about 200. I didn't want a big wedding the second time around but DH hadn't been married before and has a huge family. Plus our wedding was the first one in the family in 9 years so it was a big deal. I was a bit nervous but everything turned out perfect.

Keep in mind that more people come to the reception than to the ceremony too. Maybe that will ease a bit of your anxiety?

Ha. If I invited 150 people.. I would be praying that 100 people miraculously got a 24 hour stomach bug and couldn't come. I know it sounds silly. I will give you an example though.. You know at some restaurants they will come up and sing when people tell them it's your birthday? Well a few years ago, a few of the girls I work at the hospital with went to dinner with me for my birthday.. They told the waiter it was my birthday ( without my knowledge) .. It was this huge mariachi band that came up, sang.. Everyone stared. I ended up having a panic attack at the table with hyperventilating and the whole nine. So yeah.. Never again haha
Armymom134
by Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 11:50 AM

DH and I got married at the court house with my BFF and her husband. And I wish we would have had something bigger. Not huge but something to celebrate it. I would never go that route again if I had it to do over. We are doing a vow renew sometime and that is when we are going to have a ceremony done.

lovinmybabyboys
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 11:59 AM

i had a fairly large wedding. there were about 250 guests there. and we put it all together for about 2000 dollars at most. but i did not have a huge reception. one would have been nice, but i just didnt have the energy to plan it. lol. we planned it out in about two and a half months. i was ready just to be his wife. (and for the honeymoon...hehe) good luck

Heidi5711
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM
I had a very very tiny wedding. We got married on a beach by a bar. We had a gathering at the bar with my husbands family and close friends. Then his mom and dad took us his borthers his sister in law and best friend out to dinner. After that his mom got us a room at the hotel she works at. Some days I wish we had a real wedding. I can't help but love our small wedding. We did a huge party a month after our wedding with my family and friends. Since we live in a diffrent state then my family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof3smoochies
by Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a small wedding too and for those same reasons. I loved my wedding. Only the important people in our lives were invited and I wouod not chsnge it for one bit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaof697
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I know someone that went to Alaska to get married and honeymooned up there and then came back and had a reception.

kayleesmom42328
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LRNdunn:

Quoting kayleesmom42328:

We had a small church wedding with family & friends. We had a reception after. We were able to get married for under $500 thats including my dress, suits, flowers, food, pastor, singer & honeymoon. We did it cheap wth help from family & friends.

That is partly my goal too. I just can't fathom spending outrageous money on one day when there is plenty I could put the money towards later.

I bought my dress during a bridal stores $99 dress sale, we rented the suits for the groomsmen, the bridesmaid bought their own dresses, we used fake flowers we found on sale, my sister did our cake as a gift, one of my other sisters & husband helped with food as a gift, the pastor was an old friend & his daughter & him sang, my parents sent us to Opryland Hotel for our honeymoon as a gift. We decided before we got  engaged that we were not going to break ourselves for one day. We had a budget in mind & stuck to it. It eliminated a lot of stress by having a plan & asking for help. I think its crazy that people actually pay someone to plan their wedding & to do alot of thing that they can do themselves. My advice is to have a plan & stick to it.

CafeMom Tickers
Heather_leigh
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 2:04 PM
I am getting married in May. We are getting married in a park with a gazebo. We have 50 guest and they are all family or close friends. The ceremony is going to be in the park too under a big pavilion picnic style. I'm so excited, it's exactly what I've wanted.
Heather_leigh
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 2:10 PM
Reception*
WesternNYmom
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I had 98 guests at my wedding (close friends and family).  We had the wedding ceremony and reception at a local hotel in town.  The hotel had an out door gazebo right next to the river. It was a perfect summer day, and the setting was beautiful.  The reseption was held in the Hotel's grand ball room.  My mother and I made all the table center pieces using vases, and decorative rocks from the craft store, and flowers we purchased from a local flower wholesale warehouse. 1/3 of the cost of what a florest would have charged.  My mom and grandmother made the weddingcake, and the hotel provided the appetizers and the food for the sit down dinner.  I got a great deal on a photographer, thanks to my father working with the guy's wife, and the dj gave us a discount due to our wedding being on an off day (Sunday). We also got a discount from the hotel for holding the wedding on a Sunday.  My dress was purchased on sale at a bridal shop. It cost me  just over $300 for my dress and accesories.  The shop also had a sale that if you purchase a gown, the alterations were free.  I had to have my gown taken in a size before the wedding.  The only thing I would change about my wedding, was my mother fussing over all the details. She was so worried about impressing some of the judgemental people in our family, that she drove me nuts trying to make everything perfect. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN