Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage
Okay ladies, I am engaged.. And trying very hard to plan this whole shindig out. I will give you a little background then hope for good responses! I am torn.. I do not want a big wedding. I have a pretty severe anxiety disorder where being in front of crowds makes me very ancy and flustered. I am opting more the small route, court house even would work and maybe a reception with friends and family. So my question is.. Did you have a big wedding? How was it? If you had a small wedding, how did you do it? Did you feel jipped later on? Thanks for the help :)
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 12:28 AM
Replies (41-50):
diamondsetter
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:03 PM
We wanted small so we only invited family and about 6 close friends. We still ended up with about 200 people :/ I wish I would have eloped like my dad asked me to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mattiehatter
by Mary on Apr. 14, 2012 at 2:33 AM

DH and I had a "small" wedding with just our close family and a few close friends. I have a massive family unfortunately which occupied majority of the guest list. I think in total there were roughly 60 in attendance. I also do not do well with crowds of people and spent most of my day anxious (there were other reasons I was anxious though). I wanted an even smaller ceremony with just us and a couple of witnesses.

winterglow
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 2:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I had a small wedding. We got married at the local town hall by the mayor in a medaieval room with stone walls and beams on the ceiling (we live in a small village in France). We only invited our parents, siblings, their spouses and children so there were about 20 of us. We held the reception in a gastronomical restaurant in a room that had a whole wall view on the Alps ... They had outdoor games (swings, slides, etc.) for the children and also indoor (a inset room opening up onto one of the corners) with tons of games for them for after the meal. They had fun (despite speaking two different languages) and so did we :) I won't begin to tell you about the food ...

It was memorable and I wouldn't change it for the world.

nicole2884
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:33 AM

i had a small 60 pp wedding an loved it, i wasnt nervous at all until 5 mins before walking down the aisle , i didnt like all those eyes being on me, odd i know, 

but i loved that it was small an we got to visit with everyone, an it did go alll night so we got our honeymoon started early 

i would never do a courthouse wedding i wanted to walk down a aisle with my dad in a big dress (not princess) an be married in front of everyone i loved 

56Marmywife1997
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:36 AM

We got married at the courthouse almost 15 yrs ago and are now planning our vow renewal for this yr. Nobody was with us at the courthouse wedding and although I always dreamed of a big fancy wedding growing up I did not feel jipped by not having one. Our vow renewal with be our wedding ceremony we never had with family and close friends and the white dress and reception and all that fun stuff. We are keeping it small cuz thats how we want it.  

LadyStork
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:45 AM

DH and I did a courthouse wedding. I'm like you and can't stand having attention drawn to me. The only person there was MIL. No reception or anything because we really don't have that big of a family and that would have been pointless.

I wear this ribbon for DH (Hodgkins Lymphoma) MIL (fibromyalgia) and my late mom 3/27/1953 - 5/24/2009 (Lupus)

I wear this ribbon for my daughter (Hypothalamic Hamartoma and Astrocytoma, both brain tumors)

I wear this ribbon in memory of my sister, who lost her life to suicide. 8/31/80 - 2/27/2012

jgattis
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:51 AM

We had a VERY small wedding...just me and DH.  Gatlinburg, TN...just the two of us.  I don't regret a moment!  Based on both of our families, we are the only two each of us can rely on...we are the only two that matter....

biancalina20
by Bianca Lina on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:53 AM
We basically got married real quick (courthouse thing) then had a big party!:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaileynMe
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:57 AM
My wedding wasn't small, but it wasn't big. I think we had like 100-150 guests.

A friend of mine is doing pretty much what you're wanting: they're getting married with just their families and one bridesmaid/groomsmen, their best friends, there with them. They're using a minister and are marrying outside, weather permitting. Then later they'll have a reception.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LRNdunn
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Quoting biancalina20:

We basically got married real quick (courthouse thing) then had a big party!:)

This is pretty much what I want to do. I just can't figure out how to do the reception/ party or any good locations for it without breaking the bank or it being weird. Ha
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN