Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

DH and breastfeeding

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:39 AM
  • 33 Replies
Okay I have a 9.5 month old daughter who I breastfeed. I think DH is happy I am breastfeeding but can't wait for it to be done. Originally I said I wanted to wait a year but now it's getting closer I said well 18 months. Now DH keeps saying things about how he can't wait until then......that it would be weird for me to keep going after that. I purposely didn't post this in baby or breastfeeding groups because I don't want to be told I am horrible for stopping at 18 months. Is it bad of me to listen to DH and stop at 18 months? I know he wants what's best for our daughter but he also thinks it should be over by 18 months. Does it make me a bad mom and breastfeeder?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sissyboogs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:41 AM
2 moms liked this

I think you have to do whatever is going to work out best for your family. If that means stopping at 18 months, then there is nothing wrong with that. 

PrinceMomma486
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I bf all three of my daughters and plan on bf this baby when he comes in June, and I think its great to bf that long. My first stopped at 11 months and my youngest stopped at a year, my middle daughter refused to stop nursing but I had to cut her off at 14 months. I think bf until 18 months is great! I will also say this, its your body, and only you know what feels comfortable or not...so I really wouldn't pay any attention to someone that does not experience this at all...do what makes you feel most comfortable!

Mrs_Szontagh
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM

why does he want you to stop- jw

Linz0522
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM
I think there are a few reasons. I think he feels disconnected because she refuses bottles and just wants me. Also I don't like my boobs messed with because they leak and so it kind of irritates him that if he messes with them they leak then I am not in the mood. I also know he has said he understands why people keep nursing but he just finds it weird

Quoting Mrs_Szontagh:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs_Szontagh
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:02 AM

it's a hard concept for guys to understand- do it as long as you feel is best!! good luck!

Quoting Linz0522:

I think there are a few reasons. I think he feels disconnected because she refuses bottles and just wants me. Also I don't like my boobs messed with because they leak and so it kind of irritates him that if he messes with them they leak then I am not in the mood. I also know he has said he understands why people keep nursing but he just finds it weird

Quoting Mrs_Szontagh:

aimhawk
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:06 AM

You do what is right for you and baby. He will get over it. I personally am hoping DS self weans around a year. I don't care what anyone else says. My SIL breastfed my youngest nephew until he was almost 4 and I just personally think it was awful. Like I couldn't imagine nursing my 50lbs. 4ft tall DD!

phrenicfire89
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:08 AM
I suppose you should just keep talking to him about it. My DH is going to be the same way, he is supportive of breastfeeding but weary on the time frame. So I know I'm going to be taking it a month at a time. I'm going to go as long as I feel comfortable, with the size and development of the baby. Unless I end up with a baby that absolutely insists on continuing lol. But I will also be pumping for my twins, who just turned one and were too small to nurse, I may not make it as far as I want. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daeraelle
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:09 AM
My DH would not touch my boobs from the time I started leaking at 18 weeks, until they were dried up. He said he felt like they weren't his anymore and that was for the baby. Drove me up the wall.

However, your child could self wean even sooner than 18 months. I know a lot of people that have breast fed past two and a lot of people who couldn't get their kids to breast feed anymore when they found out how awesome food is. Some kids prefer food to breast milk, some kids keep on breastfeeding simply for a comfort factor. I guess it's according to your baby's personality. Because if she wants to breastfeed past 18 months, you probably will. She could very well decide she's done before you're ready to stop.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Goldilocks
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I personally wouldn't go past 12 months. I read your response to another poster about his reasons and I can definitely see his point of view and understand why he might feel the way he does. Obviously being a mom you need to take care of your daughter but you're also are a wife and need to make sure he's happy also. I don't think it would make you a bad mom or BF'er at all. I honestly don't get why people are so hardcore in the BF'ing department. Women have been doing it since the beginning of time and there wasn't all this "hype" about it.

MamaCeleste0722
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I wouldn't feel comfortable with my DH dictating when I should stop breastfeeding just because he thinks it's weird. If YOU want to, that's a different story. But, honestly, I'd cross that bridge when you get there. He may see that it's not a big deal. Lots can change between 9.5 months and 18 months. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)