Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

High School Graduation Gift?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:02 PM
  • 16 Replies

What should I get for my DD who graduates on June 1st?

I mentioned to my DH last night that I really want to get her an iPad He said "I say lets just let her live here free for a while."  He did not get anything for graduation other than a long talk about going to college and working and not laying around all summer. I didn't graduate so I obviously didn't get anything.

I was trying to find an iPad2 for $300 or less since the iPad3 is out now, but I'm willing to compromise on that. She is really spoiled and she got a brand new laptop for her 18th birthday anyway. But I think we should get her SOMETHING for making it through high school... and doing pretty well on top of it! She will have over a 3.0 GPA when she graduates and is taking Honors and AP Classes so she's no slouch in the acedemic area. She is also our only child.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TS9509
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:05 PM
If she likes having a nails done maybe a spa trip or hair done then a nice dinner or maybe just the money you planned to spend on the iPad give her the cash?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GCSOmom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:07 PM
I got a tank of gas and dinner. I'd save the money and use it to help buy books or something when she starts college!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ButterflyMomNo1
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:09 PM

She's spoiled.... of course she likes these things, but they are things I do for her anyway :-/

Quoting TS9509:

If she likes having a nails done maybe a spa trip or hair done then a nice dinner or maybe just the money you planned to spend on the iPad give her the cash?

TS9509
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM
A surprise graduation party maybe?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ButterflyMomNo1

Now THAT's a good idea!!! Gas is a hot commodity right now. We don't usually put gas in the car for her either. We just pay the car payment and insurance :-/ Wow! We've been way too good to her! LOL But she is generally a good kid too so. But we will definitely need the $$ for college stuff. Have a good amount saved, but not 4-years worth, that's for sure.

Quoting GCSOmom:

I got a tank of gas and dinner. I'd save the money and use it to help buy books or something when she starts college!

ButterflyMomNo1

Oh yea! Already planning on grad party too!!!

Quoting TS9509:

A surprise graduation party maybe?

TS9509
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM
My parents and grandparents sent me on a trip for my grad gift. I went to the beach with other friends that were going. It was a lot of fun just to get a break.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ButterflyMomNo1
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:18 PM

TS9509 - I feel like I'm shooting down your ideas! Sooo not trying to do that. But you have really helped me see that we already do waaaayyy too much for her! Maybe somethng small isn't such a bad idea afterall. I'm sure the Laptop will come in more handy than an iPad for college anyway.

Thank you both for your suggestions! 

ButterflyMomNo1
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Wow! That was really nice! And it sounds expensive. I'm sure they were proud of you. I'm proud of my DH too, but she needs a reality check, for realz!!! We've been talking about a trip to NY with just "The Girls" to see Wicked, and I mentioned that being her grad gift, but I really don't have the money to do it right now. Wanted to take my Mom for her birthday too :'(

Quoting TS9509:

My parents and grandparents sent me on a trip for my grad gift. I went to the beach with other friends that were going. It was a lot of fun just to get a break.

gabyangy
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM

My daughter is also graduating in June.  We have having a party and buying her a MacBook.  My daughter sounds just like your, a 3.3 GPA, AP classes and actually when is starts college she will be a sophomore. Congrats, you must be so proud. 

How about a nice piece of jewelry?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)