Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Help me with my wedding please:)

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM
  • 67 Replies

Okay so my fiance proposed December last year. We're wanting to get married this year, but we have two boys and we're young and he works really hard to pay our bills and everything while i get thru school adn take care of our boys so we're on a huge budget.

I know we could go to the court and just get married, but I was one of those girls who has dreamed about walking down in a white dress for a long time.

So I want some advice on things you all may have done to save money on your wedding that could help me in mine. :)

Any and all advice is appreciated ladies:) Thank you!

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Christywf
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM

This is what I did (16 yrs ago).  You may not like all my advice, though

I got a used wedding dress and had it altered (cost was total 75 bucks)

Rented a facility for a few hours and had friends cook the food for everyone (told those that made food that was the wedding gift to us).  That or do it at someone's house, like their backyard *weather permitting*

Bought a keg of beer (if you want alcohol)

Have very few people in your wedding party and have them all wear the same color (clothes don't have to be the same)

Flowers can be fake from the dollar store or walmart, arranged yourself as well as decorations of any kind.

Pictures can be taken by all the people attending, with their own cameras and send you the pics. That or find a friend that takes good pics.

rmgriffberg
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:39 PM

i got married in 2010 and spent $3000 total
i got my dress at jcp for $78 (it was after prom season so it was discounted and it looked like a bridal gown)

it was a small wedding (50 people)

out photos were a gift from some friends from church. they do proffessional photography and gave us a cd with all our pictures (all already edited) so we have the rights.

dinner was catered from a local resturant (it was italian food)

music was my ipod and speakers

i made all the boquets and decorations

bought my tiera from hobby lobby

made my invitations and place cards

got my hair done at a local salon (i think it was great clips)

manamott
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM
WWW.peridress.com
You send them a pic of your dream dress and they replicate it at a fraction of the price. It's not perfect but the better the pics the better it will look. I paid $150 for my $800 dress with shipping and all.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
manamott
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:44 PM
Mil made my bridesmaid dresses, flower girl dresses, and cake.

A family member was our photographer.

It was an outside wedding at a lake.

Fake flowers (except my bouqet)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andrea241
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Thank you! I like the idea of having friends and family cook. Thats what i was leaning on since i have so much family that cooks really good and so does my fiance. Also the flowers too. Real flowers cost so much I will probably do fake ones as well they canlook just as nice. :)

Quoting Christywf:

This is what I did (16 yrs ago).  You may not like all my advice, though

I got a used wedding dress and had it altered (cost was total 75 bucks)

Rented a facility for a few hours and had friends cook the food for everyone (told those that made food that was the wedding gift to us).  That or do it at someone's house, like their backyard *weather permitting*

Bought a keg of beer (if you want alcohol)

Have very few people in your wedding party and have them all wear the same color (clothes don't have to be the same)

Flowers can be fake from the dollar store or walmart, arranged yourself as well as decorations of any kind.

Pictures can be taken by all the people attending, with their own cameras and send you the pics. That or find a friend that takes good pics.

rancharobeans
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I got a dress at davids bridal for 99$... had aunts and parents help with the decorations and booking fee as our wedding gift. did a potluck style... try searching diy weddings

Andrea241
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I plan on a small wedding as well. Im trying to keep it minimum like 75. Just close friends and family. The less people the less money right. My soon to be SIL has a degree in photography and so does my uncle so im sure we'll get those free:)

Making most of my decorations sounds like a great idea. Im not to artistic so im gonna have to look around. Im sure pinterest will help me:)

Thank you! :)

Quoting rmgriffberg:

i got married in 2010 and spent $3000 total
i got my dress at jcp for $78 (it was after prom season so it was discounted and it looked like a bridal gown)

it was a small wedding (50 people)

out photos were a gift from some friends from church. they do proffessional photography and gave us a cd with all our pictures (all already edited) so we have the rights.

dinner was catered from a local resturant (it was italian food)

music was my ipod and speakers

i made all the boquets and decorations

bought my tiera from hobby lobby

made my invitations and place cards

got my hair done at a local salon (i think it was great clips)

Andrea241
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Thank you! Im definatly going to look at this. The dress i fell in love with cost 850$ my dad wants to buy it for me, but I dont want him too. Hes sick and works really hard for the little that he does have.

Quoting manamott:T

WWW.peridress.com
You send them a pic of your dream dress and they replicate it at a fraction of the price. It's not perfect but the better the pics the better it will look. I paid $150 for my $800 dress with shipping and all.

mckinneymom918
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:51 PM
David's bridal often has $99 dress sales. this is where I got mine.

my hubby's brothers played guitar and piano for our ceremony music, I just burned 25 songs on a cd and put on repeat to play during the reception.

we had no alcohol, we only had desserts for our reception, and you probably know someone that makes cakes (maybe not professionally, but maybe a work at home mom...).

we got my hubby a new suit, off the rack at kohls- I think he did have it altered a little.

we had it outside (at a bed and breakfast, which is where we chose to spend the money rather than on the stuff), so our decor was there.

we picked up roses from sams and did a few vases, and I carried a bunch, and my matron of honor carried a bunch.

you can do it! you just have think outside the box- think about what you want, and what's the cheapest way to get the look your after.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andrea241
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Thank you I will! Potluck style sounds good! :)

Quoting rancharobeans:

I got a dress at davids bridal for 99$... had aunts and parents help with the decorations and booking fee as our wedding gift. did a potluck style... try searching diy weddings

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN