Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

stupid, yes...mad,yes my fault,yes

Posted by   + Show Post
So my husband is not a big gamer, however, he has a new game that has made him way way obsessive. He plays every moment of free time he has. He stays up way to late, doesn't pay attn to schedules(or a clock at all)
The deal is that on weekend nites, he is to get up if LO wakes up. I am still dealing with a head injury which causes me excruciating headaches and cognative issues...SO he is supposed to get up with and let me get as much rest as possible when he is home.
Last nite, I went to bed at ten, at eleven thirty, I woke up b/c he wasn't in bed yet. at twelve, he comes to bed and I mention the obsession and he mumbles some sort of an apology and falls asleep. Not a half an hour later, guess who starts crying? Does he get up? no. Does he even stir? no. So I go in and LO is soaked! ....and, of course by the time I get him cleaned up, also very awake. So we spent the nite in the living room.
You want to know the pathetic part? The reason I didn't kick him out of bed to follow our agreement? Because some over emotional side took over that said "aww, but he just laid down!" I feel so stupid, we have to talk about that game....I didn't marry an obsessive gamer and I'll not have him morph into one!
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:30 AM
Replies (11-20):
countrygirlkat
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I wouldn't worry about the game.  He will beat it soon and then probably go back to normal since you said he isn't usually like this.  I would however have woken him up to get the baby since that was your agreement.  You choose not to wake him up so that was your choice.  It was his choice to play the game knowing that he still had to get up with the baby.  If he didn't wake up when the baby cried I would have woken him up and gone back to sleep.  If he was exhausted in the morning next time he won't stay up so late. 

RLT2
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Sorry but that game would get accidently broken immediately! nuff said!

lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:40 PM

sit down with him and ask him to set an alarm when it goes off so does the gaming.

Kenna1212
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:36 PM

my dh was obsessed with a game a while back....it completely started consuming our lives.....i finally said enough is enough.......i completely understand what you are going through...gotta nip it in the butt now or it will just get worse...good luck=)

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
ShannaBee
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:39 PM

My DH has recently begun doing this! Ugh it is so annoying. He just got an XboxLive account and he stays up all night playing. Then he wants to sleep all day.

VintageWife
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:42 PM

I know how you feel :( My hubby didn't come to bed last night till 5 cause of his game and promised we'd be up for church and it didn't happen.

What is he playing?

hollydaze1974
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Skyrim? Maybe? He bought a book to go with it with a gift card to help with it. damn thing is as thick as a freshman college text book
vixen42
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:59 PM

make him stick too the agreement,mine is a gamer too  and the key word is game,his life is not going too end because a grown man can't play a game

xo.MommyW.xo
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:00 PM
Break the gane
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KittenKrump
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Pitch a god awful fit! My husband is a hard core gamer. He would play video games 24/7 if I let him, but I don't. Now, I would never dream of taking the thing away completely, that just seems extreme, but he knows when it's time for business, but we've been playing this game for the last 5 years and we both know the rules. This gaming is new for you. I think you need to have a serious talk and tell him exactly what's expected of him. If his responsibilities haven't changed, tell him exactly that, "Games are fun and all but you're supposed to be doing this and this and the other thing!" It takes a lot of work to be married to a gamer, it really does. Probably just as much work as it takes to be married to a workaholic or an alcoholic or anything like that that takes huge swaths of times, but it can work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)