Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Legal BS...PIOG

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:47 PM
  • 5 Replies

My best friend just started going through a divorce. Her STBX is trying to scare her into coming back by posting all these bs facebook things making it seem like she can't win. His status today reads "Tip of the day...if you talk to every attorney who will serve your area they aren't allowed to take the other parties case pro bono. Two lawyers are better than one. It's expensive but totally worth it."

My question is, is this true? If he spoke to a lawyer, but then did not retain him, can that lawyer no longer take my friend pro bono? It's in Colorado if that helps. A link to information would be wonderful! :) And any other advice you may have for her!

in loveThings fall apart so that better things can fall together!

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
purpleducky
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I don't think so. Some attorneys do like a free consultation thing. So if you do that, just get the free advice, then the lawyer isn't tied to you really so he can serve whoever he wants. Right?

manamott
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:54 PM

That's what I would think. If it were that easy to make sure the other party couldn't get a pro bono lawyer I don't think anyone would ever get a pro bono lawyer, ya know?!

Quoting purpleducky:

I don't think so. Some attorneys do like a free consultation thing. So if you do that, just get the free advice, then the lawyer isn't tied to you really so he can serve whoever he wants. Right?

in loveThings fall apart so that better things can fall together!

suziq1982
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I agree with previous poster. I'm not sure how pro bono works but a lawyer does the free consultation and then you retain them then they won't take on the other person. However if he didn't retain them I think he can help out whoever he wants. Good Luck to your friend.

CDMelty
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I don't know about CO specifically but here's an article about Heidi Klum and Seal's divorce that mentions that he can't hire any lawyer she's spoken to. As for pro bono, it's entirely up to the lawyers what or if they charge and has no bearing on any sort of confidentiality or privelidge.

minimoo
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:30 PM
Eh, he might be right. My ex did a consultation w an attorney but didn't retain him. I contacted the lawyer about representing me and was told by his staff he couldn't because it would be a conflict of interest BC ex shared some very damaging things with him that he couldn't due to attorney client privilege. He said he was super sorry BC he really wanted to BC ex is a complete jerk and he wanted to do everything he could to help me help my DD. This didn't have anything to do w pro bono work though. However, I don't think he can "round up" all the attorneys so she can't have representation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN