Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

divorce advice needed for property

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:10 PM
  • 13 Replies

Okay so long story short- we had two cars, the altima which had both of our names the title and the pontiac which only has his name on the title. I was awarded by the courts to get the pontiac, which is great but the only way i can get the tabs and new plates is for my ex dh to release his name off the title and put mine on, which he will not do, cause the bank who we have the loan through told him even after they take his name off the pontiac and put mine on that he is still responsible and the owner of that car! so now he wants to just add my name onto he title, and therefore still making him the owner?

im so confused i just want a car. which would be easier, i would take the altima now since it does have my name on the title too but it was court ordered to me and may cause problems.

but right now i pretty much have to park the pontiac cause i cant get the tabs for it cause of him, i didnt know that he still had rights to the car that was awarded to me.

advice needed please thanks!!

by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Christywf
by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Do you have a lawyer?  Contact them if so.

nicole2884
by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

if you have a court order take that down to the loan bank an show them an get it transfered , if you dont have a court order go get one ,

fostermomoftwo
by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:51 PM

yup the bank has the court ordered papers that the department of licensing sent to them, certified and all, and still they need my ex dh to approve in order for anything to happen?

i didnt wanna have to get a lawyer, this was done and over with for 8 months now. doesnt help that ex dh is the biggest bully and likes to have complete control.

Quoting nicole2884:

if you have a court order take that down to the loan bank an show them an get it transfered , if you dont have a court order go get one ,

nicole2884
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Quoting fostermomoftwo:

yup the bank has the court ordered papers that the department of licensing sent to them, certified and all, and still they need my ex dh to approve in order for anything to happen?

i didnt wanna have to get a lawyer, this was done and over with for 8 months now. doesnt help that ex dh is the biggest bully and likes to have complete control.

Quoting nicole2884:

that blows , sounds like you need a lawyer, because if his name is still on it , he can come take it back anytime he wants

fostermomoftwo
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:15 PM

but he cant it was awarded to me, in wa state everything is divided in half and thats what the judge did he split everything in half. I couldve gotten spousal support but decided to be nice....maybe i shouldve done it. i just wanna strangle him, he says hell take his name off the title now but i have to sign something saying ill refinance it soon, im so sick of his controlling and manipultivness.
so glad i divorced him and moved on, or trying too lol.

Quoting nicole2884:

Quoting fostermomoftwo:

Quoting nicole2884:

that blows , sounds like you need a lawyer, because if his name is still on it , he can come take it back anytime he wants

mamaistheword87
by on May. 1, 2012 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

title must be transferred.  the bank loan is a separate issue.  renegotiate the terms of the loan or pay for the car outright and cut the bank out of the equation

MomToovey
by Marianne on May. 2, 2012 at 8:41 AM

This is what I was thinking too. Good luck momma

Quoting mamaistheword87:

title must be transferred.  the bank loan is a separate issue.  renegotiate the terms of the loan or pay for the car outright and cut the bank out of the equation

katye43
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Yeah, I hit the same bump in the road.  His name remains on the title until its paid for (which he hopefully will).  Its been 3 years and he has taken bankruptcy (excluding my car because its in the divorce degree that he pay for it) but what if he  quits paying?)  My fear is that he will quit paying and they will come pick it up.  We'll see.  It shoiuld have been paid for by now...hmmmm?

EmilyMarshall
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:00 AM
bump

Sunshine2plus2
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:01 AM

You should be able to do a Quit claim deed
edit Then refiance the car. My mom just did this on her home with her ex husband to get his name removed

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)