Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Daughter Stealing And Lying

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:37 AM
  • 7 Replies
My 5 year old deaughter is constantly stealing money and lying about it. The other day a gift card went missing of my step sons, we questioned her about it and she said she didn't know where it was and hadn't seen it. The following day my ex called and said she had the card and was trying to give it to his son. No matter what I do with punishing and grounding and discipline, it just doesn't seem to sink in to her. Has anyone else had problems with their children at this age? And what did you did about it if so?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Hottmomma607
by Trica on May. 2, 2012 at 2:18 AM
I would take away her favorite thing for a few days. Just keep telling her how dishonest it is. At 5yo she is the still very young but old enough to know better. She's at very strange age. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 2:21 AM
1 mom liked this
My nephew did that. I know many moms frown upon it. But maybe you court contact your local pd and see if and off duty officer would come and talk to your dd( many frown upon this. But many local cops are happy to take the time to help out)
taina361
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:23 AM

BUMP!

charlielw87
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:33 AM
my husband and I have two friends that are cops, so she doesn't feel threatened what so ever by them. And I have wiped out her room of everything but her bed and grounded her many times but still get nowhere with her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicole2884
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:26 AM

take away tv an friends 

but most of all talk to her see why , alot of kids act out to get attention, if she feels its the only way to get attention then that would explain it, im not saying thats what your doing but who knows what she is thinking

has there been any big changes that could be it

MomToovey
by Marianne on May. 2, 2012 at 8:15 AM

I agree. Just keep explaining what lying is and why it's wrong - same with stealing - and remind her that there are consequences for her actions. Good luck

Quoting Hottmomma607:

I would take away her favorite thing for a few days. Just keep telling her how dishonest it is. At 5yo she is the still very young but old enough to know better. She's at very strange age. Good luck!

AnGLInterrupted
by Kendall on May. 2, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Yup, we've been there.  My daughter is 4, but she'll be 5 this month.

My daughter recently started lying to her dad and I.  And about the most insignificant of things too.  Lucky for me, I have really good B-S- radar LOL.  What I did (and I know I'll probably get bashed for it, but oh well) is I made her sit in time-out for 4 minutes (which is the standard around here until her 5th birthday, then she'll get 5 minutes) and stick her tongue out and hold it with her fingers.

She HATED doing that.  Made up every excuse as to why she COULDN'T hold her tongue.  I stuck with it.  She only went to time-out like that twice, I believe and she quickly learned her lesson.

After the first bought of time-out, I sat her down and explained that she was in time-out for lying. And the reason that I made her stick her tongue out and hold it is because lying is a bad thing, it's a slip of the tongue.  And that maybe by HOLDING her tongue physically, she'll learn to "hold her tongue" with her words and be careful of what she says.

I also explained to her that if she does something bad, or doesn't do something she's supposed to do..  she'll get into trouble.  But if she's honest with me about it and doesn't lie to me about it, she'll be in far less trouble.

I know it's really involved for a 4 year old to understand but surprisingly enough she understood exactly what I was saying.  She understood that she wasn't being truthful and that it was wrong.  Like I said, we only had to do this maybe twice so she got the hint pretty quickly.  She's a really good kid, but kids sometimes lie or stretch the truth to their liking to see what happens.  It'll get better.

But whichever punishment you choose, the best thing you can do is to be consistent.  GL hun.  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN