Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Work and pregnancy

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:10 PM
  • 4 Replies
I just started a new job in february, and I feel like I'm not quite as good in the position as my co workers, but I of course I know it's because I'm new. I just recently found out that I'm pregnant and I'm hesitant to tell them because i don't want them to think that im taking advantage of maternity leave, or that im so new that I don't deserve to take such a leave... I know that I haaaave to and eventually I will but I'm nervous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Mommynwife26
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:11 PM
I wouldn't, until you absolute have to unless your job can put your baby or you at risk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sbreece
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Its the law they give you time off when you need it to have your baby. Whether or not they pay you for maternity leave should be listed in their company policy. Do they have a employee handbook? Read it if they do and see if you're entitled to it before hand so they can't throw you any curve balls later. You're never "too new" to receive employee benefits you're entitled to. I would also suggest you tell them now. Honesty is the best policy when it comes to maintaining a good relationship with your employer. I used to work in a HR department and wished more women would've taken that advice. Alot of women are scared they'll lose their job. Its against the law and discriminating to fire a woman for having children. The same way it is if you needed time off for a life threatening illness. Your husband (or SO) is entitled to be given time off when you go into labor too. His work can not fire him for being with you. Look up the family based laws in your state. Educate yourself so you're prepared incase your boss decides to play God and be an ass. Good luck mama! And congratulations on your pregnancy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyLehr
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:20 PM
I applied for a job knowing I was pregnant I didn't tell them until I was 4 or 5 months.. When I started showing...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicole2884
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:41 PM

i dont know about your job , but i know in some cases you dont get as much (paid) if your new regardless of when you tell them 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN