Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

If you are not married,

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:00 AM
  • 54 Replies
4 moms liked this
Why do you call your SO husband/wife? Not directing it at anyone here really.. I have a friend that calls her boyfriend of a couple years hubby and he calls her wifey. Yeah it's suppose to be all cute and lovey dovey.. But I kind of feel like its inappropriate toward the vow of marriage. Yes I know to some people marriage is just a piece of paper. But I feel that if you are not offically married, then you should call that person your boyfriend/girlfriend or fiancée. That's what those Adjectives are there for, right? It never really bothered me till now, don't really know why though..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
trapmommy2
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:52 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree completely. My sister in law called her bf her hubs and I thought it was weird. Then again I've been married 8 years and so I know exactly wut kind of work goes into it. To each their own but ur right, it does sort of undermine marriage when unmarried people say it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:01 AM
5 moms liked this
If they call each other husband and wife, and they are together long time, why not just get married? ??? o_O
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lisa_Lynn
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:07 AM
6 moms liked this

Cause people want too and its their business. What they call them.

valeriesmom1112
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I completly agree also! My bfs mom calls me her Daughter in Law and even once told someone we were married in front of me. I was like WTF, were not married. I call my bf, my bf because that is what we are. I would love to call him to my husband but that will be AFTER we are married!

1st_time_mom789
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Df and I call each other wife and hubby. I guess that's because we have been together for 9 years and we live together and have a child together. The plan is to get married next year.

longhorngal
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:41 AM
He's my SO. I don't say he's my husband. He will be, but not yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandra1023
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I have friends who call each other mom and dad and they don't have kids.  :/

mehamil1
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I prefer the term partner. Boyfriend sounds too immature, like high schoolish. So we prefer the term partner. 

We also have no intention of every getting married. Personally I don't like how it's very hard to end that contract than it is to get it in the first place. 

pinklove22
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM

i call him my husband because we have been together for 8yrs have 3kids we file taxes together and if we would want to file sepratly then we would really have to get a divorce cause in the states eyes we are married because for 7yrs we have been filing jointly...also we consider us common law married

stockuponlove
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM
I'm not married and don't call my SO that. But that has a lot to do with the fact that I don't believe in marriage and don't want a husband. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN