Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you are not married,

Posted by   + Show Post
Why do you call your SO husband/wife? Not directing it at anyone here really.. I have a friend that calls her boyfriend of a couple years hubby and he calls her wifey. Yeah it's suppose to be all cute and lovey dovey.. But I kind of feel like its inappropriate toward the vow of marriage. Yes I know to some people marriage is just a piece of paper. But I feel that if you are not offically married, then you should call that person your boyfriend/girlfriend or fiancée. That's what those Adjectives are there for, right? It never really bothered me till now, don't really know why though..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
pinklove22
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Common-Law Marriage

To be defined as a common-law marriage within the states that allow it, the two people must: agree that they are married, live together, and present themselves as husband and wife. Common-law marriage is generally a non-ceremonial relationship that requires "a positive mutual agreement, permanent and exclusive of all others, to enter into a marriage relationship, cohabitation sufficient to warrant a fulfillment of necessary relationship of man and wife, and an assumption of marital duties and obligations." Black's Law Dictionary 277 (6th ed. 1990).

Before modern domestic relations statutes, couples became married by a variety of means that developed from custom. These became the elements of a "common-law marriage," or a marriage that arose through the couple's conduct, instead of through a ceremony. In many ways, the theory of common-law marriage is one of estoppel - meaning that couples who have told the world they are married should not be allowed to claim they aren't when in a dispute between themselves.

amandaxshawn08
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM
When my (now now husband) was my boyfriend. Thats what i called him. When he proposed, he was fiancee. (ring came a month later) then it was real! Then we got married, hes my husband, and i call him my hub, hubbs, hubby, old man, and husband. :) lol i.love.him.dearly!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama2ETA
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

What if someone calls someone 'honey' does they really mean they are honey from a bee? Lol, I havent seen anyone do it, but I wouldn't even question it, or probably even notice or pick it out if I did. 

soymujer
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 2:23 PM

This needs to be given to the police of this town I used to live in.  When I lived there, I was living with my ex-boyfriend.  We got into a fight and the police were called.  I don't remember the details but I do remember them saying that it was because we were common-law married.  Neither one of us had agreed to anything.  We were just bf/gf...

Quoting pinklove22:

Common-Law Marriage

To be defined as a common-law marriage within the states that allow it, the two people must: agree that they are married, live together, and present themselves as husband and wife. Common-law marriage is generally a non-ceremonial relationship that requires "a positive mutual agreement, permanent and exclusive of all others, to enter into a marriage relationship, cohabitation sufficient to warrant a fulfillment of necessary relationship of man and wife, and an assumption of marital duties and obligations." Black's Law Dictionary 277 (6th ed. 1990).

Before modern domestic relations statutes, couples became married by a variety of means that developed from custom. These became the elements of a "common-law marriage," or a marriage that arose through the couple's conduct, instead of through a ceremony. In many ways, the theory of common-law marriage is one of estoppel - meaning that couples who have told the world they are married should not be allowed to claim they aren't when in a dispute between themselves.

family in the van   Mom of four

soymujer
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Marriage is supposed to last forever.  When you decide to be with that person, it's supposed to be for the rest of your life and not just something that's done.  If you can't imagine you being with the person forever, you shouldn't get married. So, breaking the contract shouldn't be easy.

Quoting mehamil1:

I prefer the term partner. Boyfriend sounds too immature, like high schoolish. So we prefer the term partner. 

We also have no intention of every getting married. Personally I don't like how it's very hard to end that contract than it is to get it in the first place. 

family in the van   Mom of four

GE1
by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:00 PM

The way I see it is that you need a piece of paper in order to say that you have a degree so you also need a piece of paper in order to say that you are married. If I wasn't married I would refer to my DH as my SO

hddcooper
by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:01 PM
I don't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizz2011
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I have a habit of occasionally calling my fiance hubby. We were supposed to be married already but things came up and it hasn't worked out yet. Hopefully the end of this month though :).

21Brook
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:44 PM

BUMP!

21Brook
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM

maybe they believe if they say it.out loud it may come to life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)