Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you are not married,

Posted by   + Show Post
Why do you call your SO husband/wife? Not directing it at anyone here really.. I have a friend that calls her boyfriend of a couple years hubby and he calls her wifey. Yeah it's suppose to be all cute and lovey dovey.. But I kind of feel like its inappropriate toward the vow of marriage. Yes I know to some people marriage is just a piece of paper. But I feel that if you are not offically married, then you should call that person your boyfriend/girlfriend or fiancée. That's what those Adjectives are there for, right? It never really bothered me till now, don't really know why though..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
mehamil1
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Quoting 98765:

Wow, you sound very bitter. I am sorry you feel that way. You are in my prayers.

I feel marriage is a wonderful commitment and it does take work. And i have found the longer you are with someone---if they are the right person and love you as much---the happier you can be. If me and DH were not married the first year I would have left because it was such a huge change for me. But i stayed bc i was married and now I am so happy and glad I did!

Please dont be so negative. It diesnt have to be as bad as you sound like you think it is!

Quoting mehamil1:

Who says it's supposed to be forever? The church? Or the state? The church right? Because I can't imagine the state saying I should stay with someone I don't want to be with anymore. The church does say that. Yet, we do not get marriage contracts from the church. We get them from the state. The government. I don't think these contracts should be harder to get out of than they need to be. If people don't want to be married anymore and want to go their separate ways and severe all legal and financial ties to each other, they should be able to do that with relative ease. Which in most states you can. Not all. 

At this point in my life, I cannot imagine spending the rest of my life with one single person. That does not appeal to me. Which is why I do not plan on getting married. I'm not saying I'll never get married, but I highly doubt it'll happen. 

Marriages do not last forever. They never have and no reasonable person should expect that every single marriage will last forever. Because they won't. That's just logic. And since the contracts are given by the state and NOT by churches, they should be reasonably easy to get out of. 

This is just my own opinion. I do not think marriage is sacred. I know a lot of religions treat it like a sacrament but I'm not a religious person. People can go about this however they want. But we do not live in a perfect world. People marry the wrong person and want out of the relationship. They shouldn't have to go through a legal and logistical nightmare to get out of it. 

I'm not bitter. I'm practical. I'm also 26. I also have not met a person I could see myself spending decades with without wanting to kill them. I also do not believe in or practice monogamy. 

This is just how I personally feel. I'm not sure how this came off as bitter since I actually wrote this with no real feeling. I looked at it logically (which is hard for me, believe it or not). 

I don't think marriage is a bad thing. As long as you are married to the right person of course. If you aren't it can be a living nightmare. 

godsgirl26
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Ughhh, that irks me to no end when i hear someone calling her BF hubby i don't know why. It also sounds dumb if u aren't married to call a BF hubby.

MrsRinehart2010
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I have always called my husband my husband  before we even we got married. We were living our life like married couple. We did every thing that married cupples did. Plus it just looked and sounded better after we had children . I think its all about personal preference the only thing that changd once we got married was a piece of paper and my last night which I used any ways .

jbjb1024
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:09 PM
I always called my now hubby boyfriend or fiancé whatever fit. I couldn't wait til our wedding day so I could call him my husband. It was like a whole new bond! I love saying my husband.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bertha21
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM
I don't call my boyfriend my husband, but EVERYONE else does :| it is annoying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HopefulMommy89
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM
I agree. I have some friends who do that (they're not even engaged) and it kinda drives me nuts. But to each their own, I guess.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
braezmommy89
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:12 PM
I call df my fiance... or my old man lol (when talking to others about him)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomToovey
by Marianne on May. 6, 2012 at 10:19 PM

That's what I was thinking

Quoting Amberleigh81:

If they call each other husband and wife, and they are together long time, why not just get married? ??? o_O

Elly219
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:23 PM

so are you telling me that because my marriage is not legally recognized by my state that I can not call the person I married my wife?

miqdanixo
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Honestly I don't care because it is none of my business what other couples say out do together. It isn't harming me. Personally, I won't say it because it takes away how special it is when you do get married..but to each their own. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)