Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

If you are not married,

Posted by   + Show Post
Why do you call your SO husband/wife? Not directing it at anyone here really.. I have a friend that calls her boyfriend of a couple years hubby and he calls her wifey. Yeah it's suppose to be all cute and lovey dovey.. But I kind of feel like its inappropriate toward the vow of marriage. Yes I know to some people marriage is just a piece of paper. But I feel that if you are not offically married, then you should call that person your boyfriend/girlfriend or fiancée. That's what those Adjectives are there for, right? It never really bothered me till now, don't really know why though..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Meh, I call my Fiancee hubby and he cals me wifey. We have kids, a house, car..etc, together, so the only thing we don't have is that piece of paper, but if you claim common law on your taxes you're as good as married in the eyes of the government lol

Garnet_Iris11
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Depends if we are arguing honestly. When we aren't he is DF, when we are he is BF. It doesn't matter to him, he calls me GF, DF and DW. Though I prefer him not to call me DW. We plan on marrying, but there many things that need to be taken care of financially before hand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bookworm14
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:08 PM
I cannot wait til the day I can call my boyfriend my husband. Until then, he will be referred to as my boyfriend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
florajane528
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:53 PM
I have a friend who has been with her bf for 6 years now, 5 of them living together. They have a 3yo and she is pregnant. She calls him husband and he calls her his wife. I see nothing wrong with it. He divorced his ex wife 7 years ago and it was a horrible and nasty divorce so he is nervous about getting married again. They love each other the way a husband and wife should, if you knew nothing about them you would think they were married. They want to get married but she knows it would be hard for him so she is fine playing "pretend." She said herself that she doesn't need a piece of paper to tell her she will be with him til the day she dies. And our state does not recognize common law marriages.
CameronsMommy23
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:44 AM
If they're in a committed relationship, married or not, they probably see each other as husband/wife. Not everyone wants/needs the legal or religious recognition of being married.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tth328
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:13 AM
No, I was more so talking about a girl I know that does it to be all cute and lovey dovey with just about every guy she's dated over a year.

Quoting Elly219:

so are you telling me that because my marriage is not legally recognized by my state that I can not call the person I married my wife?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Being a wife isn't something you do, it's something you are. My husband was my husband before we married as much as I was his wife. I'd be content to this day if we'd never married because in my eyes and my heart I was his wife, getting married didn't change anything. You can make the same vows to someone without standing at the alter or signing a marriage certificate. Maybe they are considered common law in whatever state you are in. So legally they are married.

LovelyLauren55
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:28 AM
Called my so what he was, my boyfriend, then my fiancé and then hubby
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottmomma607
by Trica on May. 7, 2012 at 2:05 AM
I agree! Me&DH we just called each other BF/GF until we got married.

Quoting Mama2ETA:

What if someone calls someone 'honey' does they really mean they are honey from a bee? Lol, I havent seen anyone do it, but I wouldn't even question it, or probably even notice or pick it out if I did. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommylicious4
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:38 AM

i feel you some folks say they dont believe in marriage and they dont need a piece of paper telling them their dh an dw, so if you dont believe in none of that then why use the term husband and wife..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN