Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you and DH keep your finances separate? If so how do you manage the bills and finances? I was talking with a friend about this and am just curious how many people do this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Replies (51-56):
xxbyamomentx
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:06 AM

We do. We split everything 50/50 except the electric and groceries. He pays the electric and I buy all the groceries (I make more than he does, and groceries are more expensive.) I have a large amount in savings for kids and eventually buying a home, and he has a little debt...he agrees with me that since he accrued that debt before we met (and on stupid things like fast food daily and video games), that he needs to budget responsibly and pay it off by himself. We aren't heartless, though...I supported him while he was laid off both times and he'll support me when I finally get pregnant.

kaitybird
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:31 PM

We have together finances and have for over 19 years.  That is the way it should be.  

rockyhugs35
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:38 PM

We dont, but my sister and her dh do. I dont know how they do it.  I mean we both have our own accounts that are linked up to our joint account but everything usually just goes from our accounts into the joint to pay bills and such.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on May. 7, 2012 at 7:01 PM

We keep everything joint

dingysfamily
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Nope, the minute we got married we combined our finances.  We both are of the believe that when you marry you become one, in everything.  The only reason I would think a couple should have separate finances is if one is unable to be resposibile regarding money and/or there is a business reason.  I did at one time sell tupperware & avon & I did keep a separate account for them; but dh was on those accounts also. 

tm88rn
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:02 PM

No, we have one account. My husband takes care of the bills, but if I need something, I take it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)