Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage
Do you and DH keep your finances separate? If so how do you manage the bills and finances? I was talking with a friend about this and am just curious how many people do this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Replies (31-40):
HopefulMommy89
by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Nope - except for my company accounts, everything else is combined. I don't see the point of getting married and spending the rest of our lives together if we're keeping separate finances.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sdbrowneyez
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM
Check out his website it explains a lot. Daveramsey.com
He explains how to get out of debt and live within your means.

Quoting sbreece:

Wow! That sounds like an awesome idea!! I will definitely look him up and try that system! So..do you give you and your husband a budget for extras a week? Like, my husband dips..would I just give him a cash allowance? I pack his lunches so that's not money spent. How does that work? sorry..im really interested now! Lol

Quoting rowansmum:

Dave Ramsay says if all your money doesn't have a name (designated) it will just leak out of your hands. And it DOES! It freaked me out to find how much we spent on misc stuff. Ok envelope system. Take all your pay out of the bank (we leave $5 each week in for bank fees) and write.out your budget. I do mine monthly since SO usually has a set amount weekly. I write out all of our bills and how much with the due date. I put the amount (or this weeks portion depending on the bill) in an envelope and label it. Then on to the next one and.so on. I do this every week and the budget sheet takes me about 20 ish mins, money dividing takes 5 mins weekly. Make sure you have o sh*t money lol cuz it'll take a month or two to get into the groove. You can get a free 90 day trial to financial peace university (Dave's site) and he takes you through everything, has printables (that I've never used), reading material and lectures. The lectures are insightful and hilarious lol. I listen to them while I cook :) the gazelle on tho I had to sit. My poor 4 year old came over and asked what was so funny. Anyway you can use plain white envelopes, you can buy some really nice ones on etsy, I made mine which I modified envelopes for. Dave says it takes 90 days to really get the hang of it and stick to it but we were on track solidly after month 2.

Quoting sbreece:

What's the envelope system? Id love to know! I kinda need help with figuring out a system to pay our bills a little easier without being so broke each week. We make plenty of money a month to pay our bills but it seems like we're living pay check to pay check..I just don't understand why

Quoting rowansmum:

We did for a while. He paid the fixed and I paid the variable. It came down to I paid groceries and my car and he paid rent cable, phones, and his car. It didn't work for us. Now we pool our money and I do the budget with the envelope system. We now have everything paid and saving the last bit for our downpayment. Dave Ramsay is my hero <3

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannaBee
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 6:55 PM

No. We have one bank account.

Kenna1212
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:18 PM

we have household bills that we split down the middle.....he gives me his half every month i pay the bills....any extra is his money is his money my money is my money and it has worked out for us very well=)

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
MoMmAgAmEr
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:22 PM

We don't separate we have few different accounts for different things and it works best for us....

misslady80013
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:28 PM
We have separate accounts too. He pays rent, cable, internet, his cell phone and most of the groceries. I pay my phone bill and public service and help with groceries when I can. I only work part time so he pays the big and most of the bills. This is what works for us. I had a joint account with my ex husband and vowed to never let a man have that much access to my funds again. We aren't married yet but I want to keep things the same once married.

Yes he is not my ex but I just feel better with separate accounts and it works for us. You would be surprised at the stuff the man that says he loves you will do when he is mad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gabrielle1982
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM

My husband and I kept separate finances for the first 3 years.  When going out we would just take turns paying.  At the end of the month my husband would deposit his half of the bills into my account since I had checks and he didn't.  If we had a bill of our own, for example, my gym membership and his subscriptions, we'd pay out of our own accounts.  We eventually decided to get a joint account which made life SO much easier. 

MusicMom823
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:33 PM

We do not have separate finances.  

MyTwoRedEyes
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM

My husband an I keep our finances separate. I make significantly more money than him so I pay all the bills. Working part time he is only able to pay for his extra expenses ie. his cellphone ,gas, cigs, etc..

ProudMommy51006
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Our finances are not separate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)