Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

a break in a marriage?

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:58 PM
  • 18 Replies
My hubby and I have been having a rough time..we haven't been talking and he even went home to Illinois to put some space between us because all we do is argue and to be honest this little break has been nice..what are yalls thoughts on taking a break in a marriage? Have you ever done it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkHairMAMA
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM
Nope. Being apart for a night bothers us. How long have y'all been married?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannaBee
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:01 PM
3 moms liked this

I think it's one of those things that can help or hurt a marriage. Depends on the people involved. Good luck to you.

all4Him999
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM
3 moms liked this

No breaks that's unproductive, go to marriage counseling and work through it together.  We'll be married 13 years in June and have never taken a break or separated.  Separation in marriage is the devil's playground, IMO...good luck.

katemarie97
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM
Almost two yrs..but we've seriously been through so much in that short amount of time..its amazing we are still together.and we agree that we've been through a lot with each other too much to walk away from but even still we can't stop fighting
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kenna1212
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:10 PM

just depends on the couple...dh and i have only been married lil over a year but together for almost 13 years...we had a break and imo it helped us...and it actually brought closer together.....thats just us everyone is different good luck to u guys

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
MusicMom823
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Breaks are usually a death knell to a marriage.  If you aren't together, you can't learn to work things out.  If you can't work things out, you get all excited to see each other, then when you have a fight, you feel like it was better without them there....and the desire to make that separation permanent grows.

Be careful.  Sometimes it can help but in my experience, a break usually becomes permanent unless the couple truly fights for their marriage.

JennPearce
by Jenn! on May. 6, 2012 at 7:50 PM
I think it depends on the couple. I agree that it is more productive to get counseling and work on the marriage but sometimes a break makes people realize they miss each other.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicole2884
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Quoting ShannaBee:

I think it's one of those things that can help or hurt a marriage. Depends on the people involved. Good luck to you.

this

i just don't know personally i kinda feel like its only allowing time to go by , an adding to the issue being apart isnt allowing you to work on the issue,  seeking out counseling is addressing the issue an helping you see the big picture an deciding if you can fix it or if not part ways,would be a good option 

taking a break is SORTA like pretending its not a issue , but that's just my view

BonitaM
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I couldn't.  If we took a break there'd be no getting back together again. 

katemarie97
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:58 PM
I kinda agree..with its like ignoring the issues but when we reunite they come back. I just dont know what to do..it can be or bad I suppose it just depends on how badly you want it..we've held it together through a lot but..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN