Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Bad Sex? Blame Your Mattress - Would you try a memory foam mattress?

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 5:51 PM
  • 25 Replies

Bad Sex? Blame Your Mattress

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham on May 16, 2012 

The pricey memory foam mattress is known as the "Lexus of mattresses" and is good for many things -- our backs, our sleep, and our general health. But it's very bad for one thing. And that one thing matters a lot. Memory foam mattresses are reportedly bad for sex. This doesn't bode well for the mattress.

Let's face it, mattress fads have come and gone. Between separate twin beds and memory foam beds, there were also water beds and other beds for married couples, but we always come back to the same kind of bed. I wonder why. Just kidding. In fact, I don't wonder at all.

Sure, sleep may be winning NOW (according to Yahoo, memory foam now has a 20 percent market share), but in the long run, people want to have sex in bed. Besides, how great IS the sleep?

In all seriousness, how could anyone justify having a bed that didn't allow for sex?

Those interviewed for Yahoo claimed it was like having sex on a ball of clay and it was impossible to get any spring and bounce. Sex may be more aerobic on a memory foam, but I am not convinced that is a good thing.

The sex is so bad that many couples said they are taking it out of the bedroom entirely, which may work for a time. But it won't work long term. In the end, the species needs to propagate and we need beds in which we can reproduce.

If that is TMI, then I apologize, but come on now. This is just sad. With a regular mattress you can have good, springy sex AND decent sleep. Plus you save a couple thousand dollars. It's a big win!

Personally, I love the feel of memory foam, but I wouldn't sacrifice my sex life in the name of a slightly better back. No way!

Would you try a memory foam mattress?

by on May. 16, 2012 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BonitaM
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Yes, if it meant better sleep.  We barely use the bed for sex anyways cause DD's in it most of the time.  There are so many places to have sex...furniture of any kind isn't even necessary.

CherryBlossom4
by on May. 16, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I like having a memory foam topper, but I do not like the feeling of a whole foam mattress, they are not comfortable to me or my husband.

As far as the sex part... we'll have sex on foam, springs, cardboard, slate or sand. Location isn't an issue or hindrance. 

saltyalley1227
by on May. 16, 2012 at 6:08 PM
I have a memory foam mattress and we have more sex since we got it! Because it's sooooo comfortable it's easier to stay in less comfortable positions longer. And the sleep is awesome.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I have the memory foam topper and I love it!  Our sex life hasn't been affected negatively at all! 

CrazyLife1996
by on May. 16, 2012 at 6:49 PM
Not if it could effect my sex life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenn75
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2012 at 9:46 PM
I HATE memory foam mattresses! It makes me feel like I'm in quicksand and I suffocate if im sleeping on my stomach.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GagaNTattooS
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:49 PM
Sleep or sex? Hm yup sleep better back that is wayyyyyy more important
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GirlWithANikon
by Member on May. 16, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Hm, I wouldn't have guessed. We have a super duper thick memory foam matress topper, like so thick its hard to get sheets on.

We still party like rock stars and it doesn't seem any different that befoe since we have only had the topper a little under a year.

Aquafeena
by on May. 17, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Same here. Having way more sex now. We get more rest and we aren't in pain all the time from the awful bed we had before.

Quoting saltyalley1227:

I have a memory foam mattress and we have more sex since we got it! Because it's sooooo comfortable it's easier to stay in less comfortable positions longer. And the sleep is awesome.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beeky
by Alexandra on May. 17, 2012 at 7:17 AM

I recently bought a new bed.  I seriously considered the memory foam and then rejected the idea.  

The problem with memory foam is that once you sink into the mattress and get comfortable you can't turn over.  It's like trying to dig yourself out of a pit.  For someone like me who moves around a lot in their sleep, that's not good.  Also they are very hot and for someone in menopause (like me) that's not good either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)