Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Bad Sex? Blame Your Mattress - Would you try a memory foam mattress?

Posted by   + Show Post

Bad Sex? Blame Your Mattress

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham on May 16, 2012 

The pricey memory foam mattress is known as the "Lexus of mattresses" and is good for many things -- our backs, our sleep, and our general health. But it's very bad for one thing. And that one thing matters a lot. Memory foam mattresses are reportedly bad for sex. This doesn't bode well for the mattress.

Let's face it, mattress fads have come and gone. Between separate twin beds and memory foam beds, there were also water beds and other beds for married couples, but we always come back to the same kind of bed. I wonder why. Just kidding. In fact, I don't wonder at all.

Sure, sleep may be winning NOW (according to Yahoo, memory foam now has a 20 percent market share), but in the long run, people want to have sex in bed. Besides, how great IS the sleep?

In all seriousness, how could anyone justify having a bed that didn't allow for sex?

Those interviewed for Yahoo claimed it was like having sex on a ball of clay and it was impossible to get any spring and bounce. Sex may be more aerobic on a memory foam, but I am not convinced that is a good thing.

The sex is so bad that many couples said they are taking it out of the bedroom entirely, which may work for a time. But it won't work long term. In the end, the species needs to propagate and we need beds in which we can reproduce.

If that is TMI, then I apologize, but come on now. This is just sad. With a regular mattress you can have good, springy sex AND decent sleep. Plus you save a couple thousand dollars. It's a big win!

Personally, I love the feel of memory foam, but I wouldn't sacrifice my sex life in the name of a slightly better back. No way!

Would you try a memory foam mattress?

by on May. 16, 2012 at 5:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
Mommy2JAJ
by Member on May. 17, 2012 at 7:48 AM
We just bought a new bed recently and we opted against the memory foam because they sleep hot. We got a latex with a pillow top. We love it do far. Plus latex holds up better and lasts longer
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomofNikki2010
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:50 AM
LOL my husband and I love our Tempurpedic and our sex has certainly not suffered!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lachrymose
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Do you have a link to or something similar to what you got?  :)  I'm in the market for a topper.. today is 5 consecutive days of bad sleep..

Quoting Mommy2JAJ:

We just bought a new bed recently and we opted against the memory foam because they sleep hot. We got a latex with a pillow top. We love it do far. Plus latex holds up better and lasts longer

MakinBabies
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:57 AM

I have a Tempur Pedic mattress and have no complaints ;)

Gmgej
by Michele on May. 17, 2012 at 7:59 AM

I have a Tempurpedic memory foam mattress and sex on it is just peachy :) The article is nonsense. Also they do not sleep hot, (I am in peri menopause) and are not hard to turn over in, if anything you do a lot less tossing and turing because your body is perfectly fitted. I wouldn't ever have any other kind of mattress.

Krysden
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2012 at 8:00 AM

perhaps

becauseIsaid
by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:02 AM
We bought a bigger and better mattress about 6 months ago. We needed a new one desperately but I mainly chose this bed b/c of sex. Haha. I must say the mattress has not let me down.:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Happy_Mcboobs
by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Who in the world did they poll?? This is horribly wrong--probaby someone who can't afford a temperpedic mattress trying to raise questions. I LOVE my temperpedic mattress! It is worth every penny, although, I found mine brand new secondhand so I didn't pay full price! (I'm frugal like that though!) Dh & I can have wonderful sex on it though we usually end up having sex elsewhere because of kids sleeping on it! Our kids LOVE it just as much and have begged for us to replace all the beds in our house with one! 

"Liberator"--the sex pillow furniture business make all their shapes from some sort of memory foam! Believe me--it is definitely a sex ridden "fabric"!! Memory foam is awesome!!! 

Mudfishzgirl
by Member on May. 17, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I was actually wondering after all the posts about what kind of mattress people had how a memory foam would be for nookie time. Sounds like it wouldn't be worth it for us.

LuvingMy3Girls
by Member on May. 17, 2012 at 8:34 AM
I agree with you. I hate memory form. I felt so trapped like I could not move. Worst sleep ever.

Quoting jenn75:

I HATE memory foam mattresses! It makes me feel like I'm in quicksand and I suffocate if im sleeping on my stomach.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)