Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

50 Shades of Boring (book recommendations)

Posted by   + Show Post

Okay, so every few days I see a post regarding the 50 Shades series.  I chime in when I see them because frankly those books are some of the worst literature (using that term loosely) I've ever read.  This has nothing to do with the content, I enjoy erotic novels, I especially enjoy reading them aloud to my husband, and the BDSM aspect while new to me, doesn't shock me over-all.  I'm open minded about sex.  It has to do with the fact that the writing is bland, the characters lack any real depth, the grammar is often poor and word choices redundant and sometimes juvenile, and it really should have been wrung through at least two more rounds of editing before ever being released.

So, this post is NOT about 50 Shades of Grey, this is for you ladies to chime in on what you would recommend instead.

If you like dark fantasy or paranormal romance I would recommend The Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning;  It has a great plot, interesting characters and sexy sex.  Revolves around a young woman who can see fairies, and not just the pretty kind, and her investigation into the murder of her sister.  Involves a very sexy male lead named Jericho Barrons, trust me, he's hotter than Christian Grey. 

If you're not super invested in plot pick up one of the Dark Series by Catherine Feehan (they sort of intertwine but you don't have to read them in any real order).  Tortured men of the Carpathain variety (form of vampire) and lots of well written sex of the passionate variety.  The base story that runs through all of those novels and ties them together is kind of interesting and still better than 50 Shades.

I can't think of any others off the top of my head, but I've read my fair share so if I remember any more I'll add them in as edits.

Anyone else?  Something you'd recommend over 50 Shades?

by on May. 24, 2012 at 5:27 PM
Replies (11-20):
RyansMommie07
by Member on May. 25, 2012 at 6:54 PM

im a pretty big fan of the anita blake series. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Ryan and Troy are going to be Big Brothers!  Baby Boy Myers ... coming this summer!!!

KittenKrump
by on May. 27, 2012 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I prefer Johanna Lindsey for my romance novels. I think her characters are a unique mixture of funny and sexy and relatable. Sometimes I'll pick up random books off the shelf and start reading, but my interests range into historic romance so take my words with a grain of salt if you want something different. 

RazskullMom2
by on May. 27, 2012 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not an avid reader of any kind of books, just read the 50 Shades to see what all the "HYPE" was about. I liked them and they got my "juices" so to speak flowin' and my interests peaked in reading more erotica type books so thanks for the recommended titles, I'll be looking into them for my Kindle asa I get off here lol. Please inform of any other titles/authors.?!.

MomToovey
by Marianne on May. 27, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I've heard The Black Dagger Brotherhood series is pretty good and that's what I was going to recommend too

Quoting emt088:

the  black dagger brotherhood series by J. R. Ward is pretty good. The characters have a lot of depth, and the story lines are cool. And of course, the sex is good! lol.

I freaking hated the 50 shades series.. redundant and poorly written. Flimsy female characters.. I hate wimpy women. Seriously. Anyone who actually has a love for literature will be bored out of their skulls by that series

emt088
by Member on May. 27, 2012 at 6:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Also, the dark hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon!

smtxcowgirl
by Member on May. 27, 2012 at 7:32 PM
I'm not too surprised about 50 Shades not being good. It was originally a Twilight fanfic. I'm not a big fan of someone stealing anothers ideas for her own profit. Even if you hate Twilight, you have to agree it's unfair for the author of 50 Shades to make money off characters that were originally Stephenie Meyers.

After the Twilight fanfic gained popularity, she changed the names and character personalities, but the characteristics are still there.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-mrs.mamma-
by on May. 27, 2012 at 8:04 PM
I'd agree that the 50 shades series isn't the best I've ever read, it's not horrid. I love the story line and the plot.
I've heard it's not very accurate as far as BDSM.. but it fits what I'm interested in.
I have enjoyed reading them.
The series is also her first ever books.. so, I'll be curious of her next novels.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-mrs.mamma-
by on May. 27, 2012 at 8:07 PM
What's this about? I've read one Dean Koontz book and it was great!

Quoting Poohy1975:

The Odd series by Dean Koontz

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mariabrown1980
by on May. 27, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I'm reading this series now!! Awesome!! And I also love the BDB series!

Quoting emt088:

Also, the dark hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon!

IQuitCounting
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2012 at 1:17 AM

I was thinking more in the same genre, the erotic novels.  I do like the Odd Series too, but definitely not the same genre ;)  I could make a huge list of other stuff that is wrother reading if I opened it up.

Quoting Poohy1975:

The Odd series by Dean Koontz

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)