Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipe of the day 5/25

Posted by on May. 25, 2012 at 8:21 AM
  • 6 Replies
Skillet Lasagna

1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 pound meatloaf mix (ground beef, pork and veal)
10 lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch pieces
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Add the diced tomatoes along with their juice to a 1 quart (4 cup) measuring cup. Add enough water to bring the volume to 1 quart total.

Set a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and add the oil. When it starts to shimmer, add the onion and the salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the onion begins to brown, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and red pepper and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the meat, using a wooden spoon to break it apart. Cook until the meat is browned.

Add the broken noodles to the pan, but do not stir - just let them sit on top of the onion/meat mixture. Pour the tomato/water mixture and the tomato sauce over the noodles (again, don't stir). Cover the pan and bring the liquid to a simmer. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook, now stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender (about 20 minutes).

Turn off the heat under the pan. Stir in 1/2 cup of the Parmesan and season to taste with salt and pepper. Drop the ricotta by heaping spoonfuls onto the top of the lasagna (don't stir to incorporate), then cover and let stand for about 5 minutes to allow the cheese to soften. Remove the cover and sprinkle with the basil and remaining Parmesan, then serve.
by on May. 25, 2012 at 8:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AlannaMaria
by Alanna on May. 25, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Bump!
Innocencedreams
by on May. 25, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Sounds yummy!

AlannaMaria
by Alanna on May. 25, 2012 at 8:37 AM
Quoting Innocencedreams:

Sounds yummy!

It is and it's a lot less work!
BonitaM
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I'm loving these recipe of the day posts!  Thanks Alanna!  I'm always in need of ideas.

Krysden
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2012 at 3:35 PM

sounds good

AlannaMaria
by Alanna on May. 26, 2012 at 9:34 AM
Quoting BonitaM:

I'm loving these recipe of the day posts!  Thanks Alanna!  I'm always in need of ideas.

Your welcome! They are all so tasty and so simple
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)