Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Money/Bills.....Split or Share????

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM
  • 299 Replies

Okay ladies....I'm curious. How do you and your SO handle money and bills? Do you share a bank account and just share everything. Is it your check for you and their check for them and split bills? I always wonder about this.

My DH and I have one account and we both put our checks in it. We both have a debit card to that same account. We set aside bill money and then spend as necessary. No questions, no explantions. But truth be told.... I make quite a bit more than him so it kind of bugs me to know that I worked hard to earn this pay just to have to share it with someone else. Sound selfish??? It kind of does huh??? How do you do it???

by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ichthus
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a SAHM. We share everything, but he has his own account that a little money goes to out of his paycheck that's just his. It's only fair, IMO, because he's very generous with me about when I need or want something. I do the bills, so we are very open about money.

ShannaBee
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 6:09 PM

We share a bank account. We both make sure all bills are paid.

waterlily89
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 6:09 PM
I'm a sahm and he works he pays everything and every now and then I feel like I have to convince him that its ok to spend money on himself cause he pays the bills buys the boys things, and buys me a lot of things and never buys anything for himself so Yup Yup
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMarcSaiah
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Quoting Ichthus:

I'm a SAHM. We share everything, but he has his own account that a little money goes to out of his paycheck that's just his. It's only fair, IMO, because he's very generous with me about when I need or want something. I do the bills, so we are very open about money.

So it doesn't bother you at all that he has his own little account??? I say this because you obviously work hard too. Being a SAHM is just as hard if not harder than going out to work everyday. Why is it that you think it's okay for him to have his own seperate share??

Smilely08
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this
SAHM he makes the money I pay the bills, anything extra we discuss!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMarcSaiah
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Quoting ShannaBee:

So no seperate money that belongs to just you or just him???

ShannaBee
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting SamMarcSaiah:

Quoting ShannaBee:

So no seperate money that belongs to just you or just him???

Nope. Everything is pooled together. We buy things we need for the house, pay bills, and keep gas in the car. If he wants something, he gets it but whatever he gets I get to spend the same amount on money on myself.

AlannaMaria
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM
3 moms liked this
We have the same account.. We share everything.
akgraff
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 6:28 PM

We have a joint and separate and join savings. With joint our bills auto pay, but he pays the credit card bill and I pay the rent heh

steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 6:29 PM
We live off of my checks because dh doesn't work while he is in school but I make okay money by myself..

My bank account is only me..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN