Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

He won't stop talking about poop at the dinner table! :/ No I'm not joking...

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM
  • 8 Replies

My dh is a wastewater and water plant operator. His job entails going around to different wastewater plants and water plants all day and fixing whatever problems crop up. Some of the stuff he has to do every day is REALLY gross. Grates get clogged with tampons and pads and condoms, things that people shouldn't flush but do, the bacteria gets out of balance, etc... He has become desensitized to it and it doesn't really bother him, (the baby's spitup grosses him out entirely, though, go figure, lol).

So, lots of people talk about their day at work when they get home, including at the dinner table, but HIS job REALLY is not good dinner time conversation. It is constantly grossing me out, because he will talk about big steaming, stinking, foaming tanks of poo while we are trying to eat! It's so gross! Or he'll talk about what got stuck in the grate, or whatever.

He did this on our FIRST date. Most women, if they met a guy over dinner for a first date and he was talking about poop the whole time she's trying to eat would probably not go out with him again, but to me, it just said that at least he's not a player with other women he sees other days of the week, cuz clearly he had no game, lol. I asked him at the end of the date if he always talks about poo on a first date over dinner.

I have asked him time and time again not to talk about that at dinner, and he just ignores me and goes on talking about it. Maybe next time he does that I should go get the baby's spitupy burp rag and drape it over his shoulder then open a container of yogurt, and put it  in front of him, (yogurt also grosses him out).

Sorry if anyone read this a minute ago and was confused by how I ended the post. My computer froze in the middle of a sentence, so before rebooting I clicked "submit" so I wouldn't lose everything I'd just typed.

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
JennPearce
by Jenn! on Jun. 11, 2012 at 5:27 PM
I completely understand! My mom works as an ER nurse & she would tell me every disgusting detail of her job at dinner time when I lived with her. Even worse, she would do it at thanksgiving dinner at my aunt & uncle's house. Nobody wanted to hear it but she insisted we all know about her job. Some of it was really bad like death and stuff in graphic detail.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Truequeen79
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 8:13 PM
sooooooooo nasssssty
Sarcasimom
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I think that is a great idea. Tell him if he doesn't stop talking about that, you are going to start putting the stuff he doesn't like in front of him to gross him out. 

RyansMommie07
by Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:19 PM

hubbys an emt, im an er nurse... our dinner convos can get pretty bad, but we never thought about it til our son asked our mil about the "random nekkid hallway drunks" over dinner one night. parenting fail :X

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Ryan and Troy are going to be Big Brothers!  Baby Boy Myers ... coming this summer!!!

disnchntdwife
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Just get up and leave the room. If he asks why , tell him you just cant stand it while eating. I think after you do this a few times , he will get the picture. Good luck

SuperWoman8
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I know a woman who was eating in a restaurant with a bunch of other vets and they starting going on about this horrible case of maggots in a dog. they didn't even realize what was up until they saw all these other diners looking at them while they were turning green!

If it was me and I asked him to stop and he wouldn't. I'd just get my plate and leave the table. no one messes with my enjoyment of MY food! that's just the way I feel. I don't think anyone should be able to force you into listening to that if you don't want to.

artistmom889
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:11 AM

My mom is a retired  RN. I worked as a nurse aid for several years.Nothing shocks either of us anymore when we "talk shop". but we do try to remember people around us..

sPiCyNiNjAkItTy
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Hahaha its kind of funny. I have the deepest appreciation for what your husband does. He truly makes the world a better place! I can see how it gets gross to hear about it though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN