Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

bedtime frustrations

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 5:53 PM
  • 9 Replies

My 4 year old has been afraid of her room for months and I keep thinking it's just a phase and she'll just grow out of it. It's actually gotten worse it used to be that every morning we would wake up to het crawling in bed with us but now it's every night crying and wanting to sleep with us. It makes us feel so bad and we sometimes give in and let her, if we say no then at about 3 she comes in and I've gotten up in the morning and found her sleeping on our floor :( our sex life is disapearing right before our eyes. we try to get creative but no where is safe as soon as she notices we are gone she follows. I'm getting cranky lol I need my sexy time! We put christmas lights up in her room and she has this really cool blue light that pretty much lights up the whole room. we even put a tv in there so she can watch movies if she wants. I've run out of ideas and this mommy needs quality time with her hubby without the guilt of being a mean mommy. any ideas?

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AlannaMaria
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 6:53 PM
2 moms liked this
I would keep putting her back in her room and be consistent with it. My DD went through this too. I just kept putting her back and told everything was ok and eventually they get it. It takes time and patience and be consistent and not giving in. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PartyGalAnne
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Be consistent, and give CONSEQUENCES for leaving her room. Take the TV or take a favorite toy that she can have back only after she spends a whole night in her room.

Poosaloosa
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Have you asked her why she is scared of her room?  My son started acting like this one night, turns out one night his blinds got messed up and people walking by were making shadows and it creeped him out.  Fixed his blinds and he was fine.   It can be the littlest things bugging kids.

coffeegirl2
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:20 AM

ya she said itsa combination of things shadows (her room is closest to the street) noises, and the just being alone. I'll have to just be more firm she just makes us feel so bad about it we give in, but hopefully she gets it so then we wont have to worry about feeling bad. she'll just stay in bed.  Thanks ladies!!!  

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:51 AM

When my kids were scared,not just lonely,I would let them stay in our room until they fell asleep,then put them back in their room. She could've seen a scary movie or overheard a story or something. I bet there's a childrens book you could read her about it.

GCM
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know if this might help you at all, but thinking back now to when my own mom used it I think it's genius. (And I plan on using it myself.)  She would get out a can of Lysol and call it "Monster Spray".  She'd spray our closet, under the bed or around the room in general and tell us that it would repel the "monsters".  On the upside it also made the room smell good too! : )

Constellation
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Would she like to listen to calm bedtime or classical music as she falls asleep? Love the suggestion about the monster spray!

bookworm14
by Mandy on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this
How about getting her a special stuffed animal to sleep with? My boyfriend has a tiny stuffed dog he once gave his daughter when she had a nightmare & couldn't sleep. Every once in awhile she'll come in & ask for it. Once she's cuddled back in bed with it, she falls back asleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coffeegirl2
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Last night was a disaster. She seemed good when she went to bed and pinky promised she would stay in bed but after 5 times of returning her to her room and 5 meltdowns I caved. I know thats bad but by that time I wasn exasted and needed at least a little sleep. and I asked her why she didn't want to sleep in her room and she said "I just love you so much I HAVE to sleep with you" I feel so mean.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN