Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

If you lost your wedding ring (s) - EDITS ADDED

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:19 PM
  • 57 Replies
1.-Would you tell your husband?
2.-Would you replace them with less expensive but identical ones? If you did, would you tell him that you did so?
3.- What do u think his reaction would be?

One if my nearest and dearest friends is going through this and I have no idea what to tell her for advice.

I mean, they Are her rings, not his? Though he did spend thousands on them (according to her) Idk. What are Your views?

EDIT - Thank you Ladies for all the responses! and I will get back to you after I speak to her tonight concerning whether or not they have insurance.
Atleast I know what to advise her to do. I'm going to jokingly tell her "Stop being a punk and tell him" she'll laugh, hopefully take my advice and let him know.
EDIT 2: she says theres no insurance on the rings
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CjEmmemommy
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I lost my engagement ring down the sink drain 2 years ago and then left my band at the tanning salon a few months ago:(
I have no rings, I told my husband both times, they were accidents and I felt bad but luckily they weren't expensive. They were still special to me and its sad but my husband wants/wanted to upgrade me for a while so this just gives him more reason...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaileynMe
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I lost my wedding band a while back. I did tell my husband. I still had my engagement ring, so I wore that along with a ring he bought me for my first Mother's day. Thankfully I found it about 6 months later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shorty00207450
by Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

did he have insurance on them. I would just be honest he might get upset but a marriage is based on trust and honesty. I would be scared but i would tell my husband cause im stuck with him for the rest of our lives lol and i dont want to start out by little lies.

disnchntdwife
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

We had been married only 2 years when I lost the diamond out of my engagement ring at work. It went down the drain of a shampoo bowl and out into a septic tank . I cried and cried. I did tell my husband right away. We didnt get a replacement ring for many years and then it was a ring we got a great deal on from a friend who ran a pawn shop. If she thinks she may have lost them at home she may be able to file it under her home owners insurance and get some of the money back on them. I dont recommend decieving him. He will be understandably upset, but so is she. They will get past this :)

sarah7181
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Of course I would tell my husband! That's kind of a big secret to keep, with no real reason. Accidents happen. Also, don't you think he's going to wonder where all that money went to? Marriages do not strengthen thru deceit.
smalltownmom03
by Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I did loose mine. I had taken it off while I was making chicken and dumplings. then after I cleaned up i couldnt find it. He was alittle upset but it wasnt really that big of a deal. However he didnt spend thousands on it. I would have killed him if he would have spent that much on a ring. 

sourflower
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I lost my engagements ring a few years ago as we were moving into another house. We were still in the process of moving so we went back & looked, my dh found it. Yes I told him I lost it because I wanted my ring back, he wasn't mad. Now once I lost a diamond earring he bought me down the shower drain & didn't tell him & because I was scared he'd be upset & he got upset about that wondering why I didn't tell him so he could get it out.
MrsImperfect
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Losing an engagement ring isn't something that you can hide for very long. So mine as well speak up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mojitomommy
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
My hubby lost both mine and his and he hated telling me . I didn't really mind bc I hated the rings . Now we have tattoo rings :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Traci_Momof2
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

My first question for your friend would be - Did they have insurance on the rings?

I lost my ring about 1 year after we got married.  Your first question was already answered because my DH was right there when I discovered that it was lost.  Honestly, I was much more upset than he was.  I went without a wedding ring for close to a year afterwards.  I didn't want to replace it with some random, meaningless ring.  But then that next summer we were visiting my mom out of state and she worked at a jewelry store at the time.  She was able to get us a good discount on a ring and somehow we got the idea to use the stone that had been in my mom's wedding ring from when she was married to my dad.  (She gave the stone to me in a necklace for my 16th b-day)  That suddenly gave it meaning because it was the stone my dad had given to my mom and I had worn that necklace on our wedding day so the stone was actually a part of our wedding.  So we went ahead and picked out a ring together, had the stone put in, and that is what I am wearing to this day.  The whole thing ended up costing us less $$ than what we got from insurance for the lost ring.

As for your friend, since I'm not a fan of deception in a marriage, I think she should tell him and then they can decide together if they want to replace it or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN