Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

control... And My Lack of

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 3:08 AM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

‎"I opened up the church bulletin and a disappointment set in. I saw that the sermon was focused on a woman's responsibilities in marriage. It may sound bad but to be honest, I didn't want to be convicted. I didn't want for anyone, including God to correct what I am currently doing as a spouse. What sounds even worse is that last week I was thrilled that my pastor was talking to the men about their responsibilities in marriage."

http://dailystrugglesandupliftingscriptures.blogspot.com/2012/06/control-and-my-lack-of.html

by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 3:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Beautiful31mom
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 7:18 AM
3 moms liked this

Imo, talking about responsibilities for both men and women in marriage is very important.Unfortunately in this day in age, no one wants to talk about the roles of men and women, and tell men they need to step up as men and be Fathers to their children. It seems to be "Cool" to be a dead-beat dad, no one is teaching these Boys how to be men, How to be providers and protectors. 

I did not read it the link Yet I will later on today,I am just going off what you wrote. 

Visit us at True Friends Cafe

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.There is no commandment greater than these.-Mark 12:30-31

gemini1011
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 7:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, if you're doing right by your family and so is your hubby then why try fix whats not broken. All marriages are different, what works for one household may not work for another. And disciplining your children goes the same way, what works for one may not work for another. Everybodys different GOD made us that way for a reason, life would be pretty boring if we all walked around with the same opinions on everything. :)

Kooka360
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I read the blog and i must admit i do have a problem with the idea of submitting to your husband as you do to the will of god. Would be interesting to read a summary of the sermon regarding the mans role in the marriage.
Beautiful31mom
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Kooka360:

I read the blog and i must admit i do have a problem with the idea of submitting to your husband as you do to the will of god. Would be interesting to read a summary of the sermon regarding the mans role in the marriage.

The Idea of submission,is very appalling to some people, because they have this idea of submissive women being meek and doormats and robots and step-ford wives. Which if these people would do research on it, they would realize that is so not true. Society and the media, Unfortunately, has stereotyped submissive women, and now we are trying to break out of that stereotype but it is hard to do. 

Visit us at True Friends Cafe

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.There is no commandment greater than these.-Mark 12:30-31

abigailesmommy
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Mens one talked about how they are to submit to their wives as we are to submit ourselves to each other. They are to study their wives and be constantly trying to learn how to love and support her on her terms. They are supposed to love their wife as Christ loved the church... sacrificially and completely. They are to protect their wives physically and emotionally. They need to be the leadership to their children... teaching their boys how to be godly men and teaching their girls how to be loved and precious princesses without sacfificing parts of themselves while expecting their future spouse to be godly men. They are also supposed to be united with their wives and to treat as precious and of great value. ...

There was more for the men but I didn't take many notes last week. Also, the pastor said that submission is a choice and should never be forced on someone. 

Quoting Kooka360:

abigailesmommy
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 7:49 AM
2 moms liked this

No one has to change, but I figure there is always room for growth and for change... I was just a little resistant at first. The link shows what I had learned and how I grew and need to grow. I will never share the same opinions as my hubby but I do need to support more in the things that don't really matter. "Pick my battles" better. 

Quoting gemini1011:

Well, if you're doing right by your family and so is your hubby then why try fix whats not broken. All marriages are different, what works for one household may not work for another. And disciplining your children goes the same way, what works for one may not work for another. Everybodys different GOD made us that way for a reason, life would be pretty boring if we all walked around with the same opinions on everything. :)

Momof5kids84
by Lauren on Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this
No one wants to admit this,but there are definite gender roles. A man's job is to provide and protect. A woman's job is to nuture and care for the family. Yes, there are reasons why the roles are reversed such as death or divorce. In my opinion, divorce should be an absolute last resort. You should enter a marriage with the notion that divorce isn't an option.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomToovey
by Marianne on Jun. 25, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Agreed!

Quoting Beautiful31mom:

Imo, talking about responsibilities for both men and women in marriage is very important.Unfortunately in this day in age, no one wants to talk about the roles of men and women, and tell men they need to step up as men and be Fathers to their children. It seems to be "Cool" to be a dead-beat dad, no one is teaching these Boys how to be men, How to be providers and protectors. 

I did not read it the link Yet I will later on today,I am just going off what you wrote. 

fostermomoftwo
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I love his post, alot of my struggle in my new marriage has been about control, I am pretty controlling..hes says i get it from my mom. It has bee my goal to give him the controI said ill make the decisions about the food and stuff like that, he can make the rest of the decisions. I was getting so sick of him making me make all the choices about everything, but the thing was i wasnt taking anything he said into consideration and then i was left taking control...

artistmom889
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I LOVED your blog!!! What we are not taught in our society, is the rest of that scripture. If my husband is filling HIS responsibilty to love me as Christ loves the Church, it is  not going to be so scarey to submit control to him because I will trust that he has my best interest in mind.

There have been so many overbearing and abusive husbands throughout history, that it  is seen as an unpleasent idea to submit to that, but the commandment really is a call to love and respect eachother as a team.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)